PDA

View Full Version : DVD won't complete boot under some circumstances

ImaDaSlushie
11-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Live DVD wont complete boot under some circumstances. The error I get: Looking for DVD in: /dev/hdf

Then it stops (not hangs - keyboard input still works - just stops). Left it for 10+ mins to see if it would continue.

I have an ABIT AN7 m/b, and I have added on a Maxtor/Promise ATA/100 PCI controller card. Using Knoppix 5.0.1 live DVD.

I am trying to use the 4 IDE channels on the m/b with 4 IDE hard drives I have, intended to be used as a software RAID. I have therefore installed a Maxtor/Promise PCI IDE card to add the neccesary additional IDE channels so that I can hook up a DVD-rom and a second small 8gb hard drive I intend to run Knoppix from.

I find that the DVD always actually boots (at least to the above mentioned state), no matter where I place the DVD drive (on the motherboard IDE controller channels or the Maxtor/Promise IDE channels). However, the DVD filesystem is only 'found' when I place the DVD drive on the motherboard Primary or Secondary IDE channel (AKA hda, b, c, d) for some reason.

I guess I could move the 8gb and dvd-rom to the m/b and install to the hard drive, then move it back to the second IDE controller to see if it boots then, but I thought I would check around to see if there was some reason for this in case I see it crop up again then.

I really want to use the m/b controller for these drives in the long run. That way I can just change the second controller card if it happens to go bad.

FYI I booted in verbose mode, and from what I can tell, the filesystem is seen. At that point I type 'exit' to continue from the verbose prompt, immediately the same stop happens.