PDA

View Full Version : Can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry.

Snifro
11-09-2006, 10:31 PM
What a polite error message, but annoying none-the-less.

I used DSL's tool to create a bootable usbkey. I plugged it into my fairly new Dell Precision 670 and it appears to boot until it gets to the dreaded "can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry". I have the image on a 2.0 gb Lexar USB drive. I tried typing "dsl nodma" as well as a bunch of other commands to try to get this to work, but nothing has so far. The harddrives in this machine are connected via SATA. (Not SCSI or IDE). I tried booting off of the cd and it worked fine on the same machine.

Does anyone have any clue as to why this isnt working?

DaveKimble
11-18-2006, 05:34 AM
I have the same problem booting V5.0.1 from CD :
Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hdc....cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod : 1 : syntax error : word unexpected (expecting ")" )

implies insmod is corrupt.
You might try replacing the file.

This is my very first try at Linux.
It is likely to be my very last try too.

Harry Kuhman
11-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Dave, since you are trying to boot from a disc rather than a USB device, you don't have the same problem. This error is frequently seen from corrupt downloads, bad optical disc readers, dma problems and most of all high speed burns. I have never been able to get a flash drive to boot though, so I can't say what Snifro's problem is.

skomes
11-18-2006, 06:21 AM

I used DSL's tool to create a bootable usbkey. I plugged it into my fairly new Dell Precision 670 and it appears to boot until it gets to the dreaded "can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry". I have the image on a 2.0 gb Lexar USB drive. I tried typing "dsl nodma" as well as a bunch of other commands to try to get this to work, but nothing has so far. The harddrives in this machine are connected via SATA. (Not SCSI or IDE). I tried booting off of the cd and it worked fine on the same machine.

Does anyone have any clue as to why this isnt working?Might be the USB key. I had a similar problem, in my case DSL would boot the first time after I loaded it onto the key. If I shutdown or rebooted, and then tried to boot again I got the error message. I ended up using an old 256mb mp3 player since I have an ipod, and found that I could use it without ever encountering the error.

DaveKimble
11-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Thanks Harry.

I have wasted 6 CD-Rs by not doing the burn properly.
I have now done 2 proper burns that actually initiate the boot,
one at 8x and one at 4x on a CyberDrv CB511D Combo 130A, which is rated for 24x,
on CD-R and CD-RW using CDBurnerXP Pro 3.0.116
They both fail in the same user-unfriendly way - expecting ")" in modules/insmod

Yes, I suppose the hard drive copy taken from a PCWorld DVD might be corrupt,
or the DVD itself might have been corrupt,
or there could have been an error in the master copy ...
But oh, do I have to go back and do it all again ?
This is so frustrating.
From zero to LINUX in 5 minutes - ha ha ha

I don't think I'll bother.
By the look of those error messages, this is not going to be a user-friendly experience.

Dave

Harry Kuhman
11-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Yes, I suppose the hard drive copy taken from a PCWorld DVD might be corrupt,
or the DVD itself might have been corrupt,
or there could have been an error in the master copy ...
But oh, do I have to go back and do it all again ?
I have no idea what this means. "the hard drive copy taken from a PCWorld DVD", what is that saying? If you have a magazine DVD, does that boot? My advice is to read the downloading faq and use BitTorrent to get a good ISO, confirm the download with an md5 test, and burn the disc slowly as an image as explained in the downloading faq (sounds like you are at least burning as an image since you do get into the boot process somewhat). Of course, if you have an ISO file there is no reason to download another, just do the md5 check to confirm it's validity. And use a 700 meg cdrw or a DVD/rw media to aviod any wasted discs.

mailman42
11-19-2006, 04:38 AM
I'm having the same problem. 2 different U.S.A. sites, the last one being -> http://archive.cs.stedwards.edu/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso

and 7 coasters later, I am unable to get a good knoppix 5.0.1 cdrom out of this deal.

This kinda sucks big time

Harry Kuhman
11-19-2006, 04:47 AM
I'm having the same problem. 2 different U.S.A. sites, ...and 7 coasters later, I am unable to get a good knoppix 5.0.1 cdrom out of this deal.
I've had problems from the mirrors also, but your post suggests that you have not read the downloading faq or are ignoring the help it offers: Use BitTorrent rather than a mirror for a reliable download. Always do the md5 check on the iso before burning; there is no good reason to waste even one cd let alone 7 on bad ISOs, the md5 test will tell you if the download is good or not.

marhleet
11-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks Harry.

I have wasted 6 CD-Rs by not doing the burn properly.
I have now done 2 proper burns that actually initiate the boot,
one at 8x and one at 4x on a CyberDrv CB511D Combo 130A, which is rated for 24x,
on CD-R and CD-RW using CDBurnerXP Pro 3.0.116

is that a DVD/cd-rw combo ?
I haven't got a dvd burner to burn a cd properly
but i can get it to work using a plain cd-rw
not sure where the problem is but I know how to work around it ....

also, I took my almost working 100% properly 48x cd drive with me today
and it booted up the knoppix cd, ok
but i couldn't get the install to work
using a different cd-rw July 2001 drive, it worked straight through

hence, the part from Harry about cd opticals .....
old drives can't read cd-rw media well, though you said cd-r.
can you get a cd-rw drive ?

I've updated the firmware on my dvd burners, but haven't needed to try them yet .....

Harry Kuhman
11-19-2006, 09:09 PM
is that a DVD/cd-rw combo ?
I haven't got a dvd burner to burn a cd properly
but i can get it to work using a plain cd-rw
Just to avoid any fear uncertainty and doubt, I can burn CDs just fine on my DVD/CD combo drive (BenQ DVD 1620) and I've heard no other reports of others having any problem doing it either. Nero 6 does insist on burning the CD at 8x on this drive, even though it will burn at 4x on my Lite-on CD drive, and other burning software will burn CDs at 4x on the BenQ combo drive. I usually use the Lite-on for Knoppix CDs since I want to burn them as low as I can, or use software other than Nero, but there is no universal problem in burning CDs on a combo drive. If you are having problems it's most likely a hardware problem (even dirty optics) on that drive.

hence, the part from Harry about cd opticals .....
old drives can't read cd-rw media well, though you said cd-r.
can you get a cd-rw drive ?
Most old 1x CD drives could not read CD-RW, they lacked the automatic gain control needed to compensate for the lower contrast of CD-RW media. Pretty much any newer drive that ran faster than 1x should have the automatic gain logic and so, barring other hardware problems or dirty optics, should read CD-RW just fine. Because CD-RW does trigger extra signal amplification on any drive with automatic gain control, it may behave differently in a marginal drive than CDR. I actually had one old 6x drive that lost it's ability to read CDR, but it could still write and read CD-RW just fine thanks to the extra gain used for those discs. I certainly wouldn't advocate using such a marginal drive for any burns intended for long term backup, but this does demonstrate to me that it's worth trying CD-RW when an optical problem is suspected with CDR. It's also smart to use CD-RW when you can anyway, particularly for Knoppix, I have a lot of old Knoppix CDs that I'll never use again just taking up space in a case; and I've prevented wasting a lot more by switching to CD-RW (and DVD+RW) for most burns.

Barrett
11-23-2006, 10:32 PM
The CD does work in computer A, but not computer B.
First, while booting, the message is:
Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/scd0

Then:
hda Maxtor ...
hdc CD-ROM Samsung ...
Can't find Knippix file system

So, I suspect the Maxtor should be hdc and the CD-ROM should be something
other than hdc and that's why it can't be found.

I tried tohd=/dev/hdc
but no luck. Do you have a solution?

marhleet
11-24-2006, 09:26 AM
you need a cheat code to not use one of the sub systems ....
I've had this, but it's been a while
hda Maxtor
that means the maxtor is hda
check the burn on the cd media
and the age on your samsung cd-rom drive

try another cd-rom drive

but, find the cheat code to disable something at bootup

Mr Ranger
11-26-2006, 05:30 AM
I don't believe the problem has anything to do with a corrupt CD. I just tried for the first time 5.0.1 after downloading. And got the same error message. I then tried my copy of 4.0.2 that worked perfectly on my old rig yet recieved the same error on my current system. Perhaps there is some incompatability with this system. I am currently running a Asus P5B deluxe with a Intel 6400.

Mr Ranger

Nemoe
12-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I had this problem (cant find knoppix filesystem, sorry) when booting 5.0.1 from the CD at my old computer (p2-600). The problem didnt appear on the newer AMD-64-3000+. SO I dont think it is a burning problem ( I used a CD-R).

I solved this problem using ..

... "failsafe" for booting. But then my mouse (ps2 and serial) didnt move anymore.

... "knoppix nodma". But then the system wasn't stable.

... the boot-command "knoppix noapci apci=off pci=bios" that is mentionend on the boot-up-screen (Key F2 or F3) for bad BIOS'. Check the spelling, I didn't learned it by heart. This one works well.

marhleet
12-03-2006, 12:17 AM
an older p2-600 would have an older cd-rom drive
which won't read newer media as well
and quite likely not a cd-rw

the can't find knoppix system from a cd-boot is not being able to read the media on the cd-disk with the cd-drive
put it on a cd-r, not a cd-rw and burn it slowly
or swap the cd-drive while you are testing

rombust
01-05-2007, 12:19 PM

I have a Dell Precision 370, and get the same error. I got it working by using a USB port separate to the base machine (a USB hub attached to a USB keyboard). The dell USB mouse does not work in X. (I have not investigated why).

Chriz
02-11-2007, 11:33 PM

I used DSL's tool to create a bootable usbkey. I plugged it into my fairly new Dell Precision 670 and it appears to boot until it gets to the dreaded "can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry". I have the image on a 2.0 gb Lexar USB drive...

I got exactly the same error with 256mb Kingston Data Traveler 2 USB key after following the instructions from
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/02/all-in-one-usb-dsl
The solution was to format the file system to FAT 16. FAT 32 did not work for some reason.

MapLeaf
02-21-2007, 03:30 PM
When booting from CD (first time to do this) I recieve this message:

"Can't find Knoppix file system, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit."

I was given to understand that Knoppix may help me retrieve datat from a corrupted HD and would really like to get it going.

Any ideas?

MapLeaf
02-23-2007, 12:13 AM
I changed the CD rom for a new one and had no problem booting from CD.

Now I have a new question. When I am running the program, it will not let me write to my HD. It says I do not have permission.

Harry Kuhman
02-23-2007, 12:26 AM
I changed the CD rom for a new one and had no problem booting from CD.
Yup, this confirms that the problem was due to a marginal burn, marginal or dirty optics in the old drive, or an old drive that needed a cheat code. All very common problems but the first two few will accept the answer to unless thay discover it themselves.

Now I have a new question.
Then you would be better served by starting a new thread than by appending it here. Or better yet, use the forum search feature, you are not the first to ask this.