PDA

View Full Version : Which is the STABLE build?

bongski55
05-20-2003, 08:40 AM
Please if you can indicate on the homepage which is the stable build of knoppix.
I do not have the fast intenet connection to be able to keep up with the new builds everytime it comes out.

Thank you!

eadz
05-20-2003, 09:10 AM
Please if you can indicate on the homepage which is the stable build of knoppix.
I do not have the fast intenet connection to be able to keep up with the new builds everytime it comes out.

Thank you!

There is no stable build :)

The latest one is always the best, and they are all beta. I.e. there was 3.1 beta, and then 3.2 beta. There was never a 3.1 final. It will always be beta as it will never be finished.

bongski55
05-20-2003, 12:34 PM
This is not good at all. As I mentioned in one of my posts, very few people ever heard of knoppix, and linux here-only those who are into pc and considered "geeks" know about os other than windows.

So how to convince others to switch to knoppix as all builds are considered beta? For ordinary pc users a beta is no good for pcs.

Also I don't think the cd is available here in oman and downloading would take a day!

It is really a shame for such a promising os.

eadz
05-20-2003, 12:52 PM
This is not good at all. As I mentioned in one of my posts, very few people ever heard of knoppix, and linux here-only those who are into pc and considered "geeks" know about os other than windows.

So how to convince others to switch to knoppix as all builds are considered beta? For ordinary pc users a beta is no good for pcs.

Also I don't think the cd is available here in oman and downloading would take a day!

It is really a shame for such a promising os.

Klaus answered this question in an interview ( halfway down the page ) :

The "final" release will appear when there is a "final" release of GNU/Linux (which will probably mean the end of the world). ;-)

http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=interview-knoppix

Just becasue it's labeled "beta" doesn't mean it's less stable than windows, or even unstable at all. It just means it isn't "finished" yet. Can you tell me that windows is stable?

As for getting the cd, some sellers ship internationally.

bongski55
05-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Just becasue it's labeled "beta" doesn't mean it's less stable than windows, or even unstable at all. It just means it isn't "finished" yet. Can you tell me that windows is stable?

As for getting the cd, some sellers ship internationally.

Very few sellers would ship to Oman(middle east). Even if they do,by the time it reaches here there will be a new version.

I do not want to compare it with windows as this would just be a never ending debate.( I work as a Biomedical Engineer in a large university hospital here and I am yet to see a medical equipment which uses linux as OS if it is really stable).

In my opinion windows is not stable but neither is linux or knoppix.

Please don't get me wrong ,I still like knoppix-seems the easiest distro of all. Have not gone to the next step though-installing it to the HD. That is the reasoin for this question/post.