PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.01 requires nodma to boot Live CD 4.02 did not?

rrolsbe
11-12-2006, 03:16 PM
My Compaq V2000Z laptop booted the Knoppix 4.02 Live CD with no cheat code options; however, Knoppix 5.02 requiires the cheat code NODMA or it won't boot the live CD. My Knoppix live 5.02 live flash thumb drive will boot without the NODMA cheat code; however, it hangs the OS if I try to access the K3b CD/DVD burning application. Anyone have any idea what changed between 4.02 and 5.02 reqarding this issue??

Thanks Very Much In Advance
Regards
Ron

ckamin
11-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Could it POSSIBLY be that version 5.0.1 has DMA enabled by default and that 4.0.2 does not? Some chipsets and drives do not work well with DMA enabled and many do. Your optical drive and or chipset probably is one that does not work well with DMA enabled. If you boot off of the thumb drive, you may need to configure the Knoppix to disable the DMA on the optical drive, once the system has booted. It had trouble booting from the optical drive with DMA enabled, so it would be a simple deduction that the optical drive would have issues without DMA being disabled for it. There is a conveniently located menu that is intended to do just that!