PDA

View Full Version : network doesn't start automatically??

redhawk
11-15-2006, 02:42 AM
For some reason ever since I've installed Knoppix to my harddrive it doesn't start my network via Ethernet automatically I have to login to root and: pump -i eth0
Is there a way to get Knoppix to do this command every time I boot up (and also run other commands)??

Richard S.

Harry Kuhman
11-15-2006, 03:24 AM
For some reason ever since I've installed Knoppix to my harddrive .......
Many things break after Knoppix is "installed". The oldest problem posted in our Hard Disk Install forum is a"network not working after install", and it has continued to this day. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that many of us advise not to install Knoppix, but rather to install something actually intended to be installed, like Debian.

BlckJck
01-12-2007, 05:39 AM
I had the same problem after I did the HD install with version 5.

My fis was to modify /etc/init.d/networking. At the end of the script add the pump command. I did not need any arguments for pump.

echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/networking {start|stop|restart|force-reload}"
exit 1
;;
esac
pump
exit 0

Hope this works for you...

Capricorny
01-14-2007, 12:16 PM
It didn't work for me.. on an ASUS A3HF laptop w/5.1.1. From CD, network works perfectly.

I think I can understand the advice about HD install. In my case, neither lspci -v or lsmod listings give any clue. lspci -v listings are identical from CD and HD, and lsmod diffs seem not to relate to network. I tried the HD install because I can not get Mandriva 2007 to work predictably well on this machine, while a remastered 5.0.1 Knoppix runs smoothly from a USB pendrive. So maybe I should look at std Debian... but as I'm not sure to avoid problems that way, I may well choose stick with Mandriva..

Capricorny
01-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Just a short update: I plugged in an old Billionton PCMCIA card, ran "ifup eth1" and it worked immediately. But what to do with the built-in Realtek 8139 based interface, I still don't know...

BlckJck
01-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Just a short update: I plugged in an old Billionton PCMCIA card, ran "ifup eth1" and it worked immediately. But what to do with the built-in Realtek 8139 based interface, I still don't know...

I only have one interface in all of my PC's...
I had to add the above pump command to both PC's after a HD install.

After booting with the PCMCIA card not installed, do you get an error in the dmesg report. Also, do an lsmod with a HD boot and with a CD boot. Look and see if the drivers for you onboard LAN were loaded on the CD boot and not the HD boot.

N74JW
01-22-2007, 02:24 AM
Hello,

I used the networking utility to set a static IP address for my eth1 interface. The ifconfig -add command did not seem to work due to permissions errors, so I tried the GUI.

It works great!