PDA

View Full Version : Tv tuner + Hard drive recognition

skomes
11-16-2006, 12:28 AM
I recently burned a cd of knoppix 5.1, switching from what I previously used as a livecd which was knoppix 3.6

1. On knoppix 3.6, when the livecd finished loading and I was sitting at the desktop, there was an icon on the desktop of my computer's hard drive which i could right click, mount and use all I wanted.
On knoppix 5.1, it isn't there. There is also no link to it in /mnt so what do I do?

2. My tv-tuner card is made by kobian, under the brand name mercury. In knoppix 3.6, because the card is extremely similar to the lifeview flyvideo 2000, I would pick that one, and the Philips MK2 tuner. Using these options, I would be able to use ALMOST all of the channels my tuner could get, a few could not be picked up.
With knoppix 5.1, I go to configure, and pick the same card, and the xawtv config screens shuts down. Is it supposed to let me pick a tuner? Because after I pick a card it just closes. If I try picking up channels, it doesn't work, and aborts.
Can anybody tell me how to manually pick the tuner? What number is it?

Harry Kuhman
11-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Please see answer #7 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

skomes
11-16-2006, 04:23 AM
Please see answer #7 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).
edited

Harry Kuhman
11-16-2006, 04:50 AM
Thanks.

I can't help with #2.

As to #1, Knoppix still shows the desktop icins for drive partition for me and for other usres, although the way to make FAT partition read-write has changed somewhat. I wonder if there is something wrong with your partitions or partition table. Have you tried looking at the current system with the old version of Knoppix? Can you try your new Knoppix on a different system?

skomes
11-17-2006, 05:14 AM
As for the hard drive, windows will boot off of it, and knoppix 3.6 still recognizes it fine. It is an NTFS partition. When I boot knoppix 5.1 it simply doesn't show up. Not in /media, not in /dev. In 3.6 it shows up as hda1. In 5.1, in media there is hdc but it has nothing in it, and there is no hda1.
On my laptop, knoppix 5.1 DOES recognize the hard drive.
The problem may be in that I use an SATA drive. To use it, in the bios I had to enable SCSI which is how the mobo recognizes it. In 3.6 there is no issue, but this may be the cause in 5.1.

Harry Kuhman
11-17-2006, 05:39 AM
Yea, sounds like it could be an SATA issue. If 3.6 is OK with it I would suggest that you grab a copy of 4.02 while you still can, it's newer and may or may not recognize the drive. I actually find 4.02 a lot less buggy than 5.0.1.

skomes
11-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I tried to run qtparted, but as soon as the splash screen starts up, it is gone and the program itself never seems to start. Is there any way to run another kernel in knoppix 5? Maybe downgrading the kernel will do the trick.

cvevans
12-08-2006, 05:43 AM
Do you have anything showing under sda?
The one time I used Knoppix on a unit with
SATA drives, they showed up as
sda1, sdb1, etc.