PDA

View Full Version : Help to restore files....

andyc
11-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi all

I was in the middle of resizing my XP partition (NTFS) with Partition Magic when it decided to through a wobbly and refused to continue. Asa result, windows won't boot as it can't see the partition. I have loaded ERD Commander and it just shows a blank C Drive. There is about 1Gb of data that I want to recover if possible (via network or USB stick). Having never used Linux, I would be garteful if someone could point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance

huntert
11-20-2006, 06:25 AM
if you can get a copy of knoppix you can use the kb3 cd burner to copy your files. it is best if you have one cd tray to boot from and another for your burner. you can boot from knoppix with out installing it and burn your cd with kb3. it is possible to boot from knoppix from a flash drive.

daneks
12-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Hi,

There are many things you can do to solve this problem.

1.Download a Knoppix ISO and burn it as an image into a CD or DVD. Then boot with Knoppix* to explore your HD and burn your data. Knoppix is very intuitive. If you can use Windows you can use Knoppix.

*Put Knoppix CD in CD tray and turn on PC. Make PC boot from CD (press F8,F2,ESC or Delete key to change boot order). Wait for CD to start up. Once in the Knoppix look for a HD icon on the desktop and try mounting it. Once mounted look for KB3 burner and burn your data.

2.Mount your HD in a second tower and explore it with the second tower's OS. In this case you could use the OS explorer or a "Data recovery utility" to retrieve files.

3.Repair your partition with windows cd or other boot tool.

4.Access your HD via network. This one is very tricky.

Be careful when recovering data. Try one method at a time and don't switch until finished. If you can't answer something you've been asked in the process, get help. Never guess. And always try to read and understand text and dialog boxes.

Make sure you let me know what's going on.

Good Luck. Daneks