PDA

View Full Version : Live CD 5.0.1 network error

momist
11-22-2006, 11:58 PM
My new Knoppix live CD will not boot on my Athlon PC. Everything goes normally up to the following error:

Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcastijng for IP. udevd-event[3866]:wait_for_sysfs:waiting for '/sys/class/net/eth0/device/driver' failed

where it then hangs. My network connection is a Speedtouch 330 USB broadband modem, not a router. Can anyone advise me how I can make this work?

Momist

Harry Kuhman
11-23-2006, 12:17 AM
To boot past the DHCP issue, type in knoppix nodhcp at the knoppix prompt during booting. This should let you boot although it doesn't get your network connection working. See answer #9 and then #4 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) for my thoughts on running with a USB modem. If, as seems likely, you choose to ignore the warnings agains a usb network interface without a router, there is a thread at the top of the networking forum by others who have managed to get something kind of "working". I really don't believe that USB should be used this way however.

momist
11-23-2006, 12:44 AM
OK, Thanks harry, I've run the Speedtouch successfully for some time in Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and was not looking forward to going through all that again for Knoppix. My interest in Knoppix is to run it just to support my son in Germany who is trying the live CD as his first dip into Linux. I know he will have all sorts of problems, and was hoping that if I ran the live CD as well, I could help him through them. Oh well, one day I'll get that wireless modem/router. They're rarely less than £50 in the UK :(

Momist

Harry Kuhman
11-23-2006, 01:54 AM
Oh well, one day I'll get that wireless modem/router. They're rarely less than £50 in the UK
Strange prie since unless you want a particular model they are very seldom ever that much here and we both import them. But you have a more serious problem; you can'y hook up a router to a USB only modem.