PDA

View Full Version : CD 5.0.1 saved config (partial) failure

zoltanthegypsy
11-29-2006, 07:00 PM
I've done full remasters before, but this time I'm trying a "poor man's" remaster w/out touching the compressed filesystem. Just adding a couple of scripts outside the KNOPPIX filesystem, changing some graphics and html, and adding a little to the KDE menu, then rebuild md5sums and iso and burning. Saving knoppix.sh and configs.tbz (tried both "inside" the burn and on HD).

It sort of works, but my KDE menu changes don't show up correctly. I added a sub menu with 3 launchers for my scripts and put a copy of the sub menu in the panel.

W/knoppix.sh and configs.tbz in either KNOPPIX dir or on /dev/hdbx, I don't see my additions to the menu. I _do_ see my sub menu launcher (and its icon) in the panel, but its sub items show up as "empty".

I have tried saving "Personal configuration" alone, and with "All files on the desktop". No difference.

Clues?

Thanks,
Z.

mavperl
12-30-2006, 04:39 AM
When you are making the menu changes and save them, take a look for a menus directory under .kde in your home, there is a file which holds the config for your menu. Also check to see if the directory and file exist in /etc/skel/.kde/config/menus/? run diff on the files to see if they are the same. The /etc/skel files may need to be over written. I did this, but don't recall the exact dir structure and file name, anyway the menus directory does hold the config file, VERY important to have the skels directories and files have the correct permissions, I just tried to find the article I read on the permissions but haven't. Anyway the dir .kde in home after saving your settings will have a few more files and dirs then skel under etc, just copying is not the way, they need to be rsync'd. Also good to take a look in usr local profile use -al on ls. Hope this helps. GL