PDA

View Full Version : Blank Screen, using koppix cd iso

famousnation
11-30-2006, 04:57 AM
Greeting, I have a bit of a problem here...

Background: I downloaded the Knoppix CD .iso torrent. Proceeded to burn .iso to cd. I changed my boot device priorities and load the CD.

Problem: After what looks like a successful booting of linux my screen will suddenly flick to black and remain this way. The only way to exit this is to restart the computer. Hmmm, curious no?

My thoughts are (1) maybe I dowloaded a corrupt torrent (2) a problem with my video drivers. I don't know how feasible each of these are but I figured I would ask for the opinions of experienced users before I start to labor over troubleshooting on my own.

Would appreciate some help :oops:

Harry Kuhman
11-30-2006, 05:05 AM
My thoughts are (1) maybe I dowloaded a corrupt torrent ...
BitTorrent contains it's own error correction software so a torrent is very seldom corrupt if downloaded properly (I do know someone who got a bad download by stopping the download as soon as he saw 100% rather than wait for the download to really finish), but since there is a md5 checksum included with the torrent you should never have any doubt if the download is good or not as long as you did the simple test. There are other things that could have gone wrong also, and if you missed the md5 test then you might have missed them too. I suggest reading the downloading faq as covered in answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman). And yes, it could be a video issue also, particularly if Knoppix is pushing the monitor into a video mode it can't display. See the cheat code section of the wiki on that issue, but I would suggest looking at the downloading faq first.