PDA

View Full Version : black screen, used boot cheat codes

famousnation
12-01-2006, 02:56 AM
I have an uncorrupted iso image CD, correctly burned. However, when knoppix boots it seems to be successful, yet after I am given a brief message about windows xp the screen flicks to black.

I used several boot options including:
-knoppix vga=0
-knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3
-knoppix failsafe debug -b 3

Still I get the black screen, and I know my monitor is detected and I don't believe my monitor the problem.

When I use the debug options all is well until I get the the very end, where I should only have to type "exit" to proceed. It doesn't work though, the word "logout" is continually given as a repy when I type exit, and I'm a bit confused here.

Any suggestions? :?

System: Athlon64 XP 3500 processor, ATI x800 video card, Windows xp

Harry Kuhman
12-01-2006, 03:05 AM
... I don't believe my monitor the problem....
In the cheat codes you mentioned, you didn't seem to use anything that changes or forces the monitor resolution or, more importantly, scan rates. You also don't say what the monitor is. So my questions are: What is the make and model of the monitor? (A link to the monitor specs at it's manufacturer's site would be particularly helpful.) What resolution and scan rates does it normally use with Windows? Why do you believe it is not an out-of-range monitor issue causing the screen to go blank? Do you have another monitor that you can try, particularly something that you know to have good range in scan frequencies? Does your monitor have OSD that would tell you what resolution and frequency that Knoppix is trying to use (and if so have you looked at it)?

famousnation
12-01-2006, 04:10 AM
Well I actually did use a code to run knoppix at 1280x1024, which is a resolution I normally use. I didn't think my monitor was an issue simply because knoppix seems to be able to automatically discern which resolutions my monitor is capable of, which is a good range. It is the most advanced monitor I own, but maybe I will try a different monitor as you suggested.

You're right, I didn't adjust any scan rate values, is that the same as the refresh rate? My monitor is at 75hz refresh rate usually. Here is a link to my monitors specs. http://tinyurl.com/yyghxd

And I'm not sure what you mean by using the OSD to see specific information about knoppix. Maybe I'm just stupid. (OSD = on-screen display?)

I'm just flat out busted and don't know what to do after this, but I'll appreciate any furthur thoughts.

Harry Kuhman
12-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Well I actually did use a code to run knoppix at 1280x1024, which is a resolution I normally use. ... (OSD = on-screen display?)
Well, now that I know it's a Viewsonic I'm less sure that it is a monitor frequency issue, but I think it's still worth being sure. Unfortunately, at higher resolutions like 1280x1024 some monitors will not always run at the highest scan rates (yea, refresh rate is another term often used to refer to about the same thing). Actually the monitor is concerned with both horizontal and vertical frequencies and either being out of range can be a problem. Most better monitirs like the Viewsonic have circurity that blacks out the monitor when an out-of-range (usually too high) frequency is applied to the monitor to avoid damage that can otherwise be caused. And excessively high horizontal frequency is more common that excessively high vertical frequency or too low of frequencies.

OSD is indeed on-screen display. You Viewsonic will tell you what the input frequencies are (and indeed confirm that there is an input signal), and from there you can determine if it exceeds the monitor's capabilities. Bring up the OSD on the monitor while under Windows and note the values it reports, I think you'll find it under a section in the menu called "VIEWMETER". Then try under Knoppix and see if any of the reported values seem out-of-spec (likely higher). If Knoppix isn't giving you higher values then I agree that it's not likely a monitor issue. And yes, this Viewsonic is PnP capable and so it should be reporting to Knoppix the ranges it can operate in, but something is clearly going wrong somewhere and it may be here.

1280x1024 should work fine on that monitor up to 80 khz, but for a test I would suggest typing knoppix hsync=60 at the prompt and seeing if that helps. 60 khz should be a good horizontal scan rate for any resolution that monitor is capable of running at. Even try knoppix hsync=60 screen=1024x768 .

If it's not the monitor frequencies then I'm not sure what it might be. I don't know that video card. Is it analog only or does it have DVI and analog (or mayve DVI and an analog adapter) ? Could it somehow be switching to DVI output when Knoppix goes into graphics mode? If so is there any way to force it to analog of determine if that is the issue?

famousnation
12-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks for all the help Harry, but I'm just not having any luck it seems.

Viewmeter shows no abnormalities and the boot options you suggested didn't solve it. I did update my video drivers, but that didn't seem to help either. As for your ideas about the video card and it's DVI/Analog output, I'm not sure how to force analog as you suggested.

If you like here is a link to my video card specs. http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx800/specs.html

I'm not sure if that helps you, but I just can't seem to find the problem, and I may just give up until I have my laptop at my disposal. If you have any further suggestions I'd love to hear them, but if not, don't sweat it.

Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
12-01-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm not clear on what you mean when you say that you updated your video drivers. We are talking about running Knoppix from disc, right. and not some foolish attempt to "install" it? In that case you are running with the drivers that Klaus gave you, nothing else. Maybe there is a problem with the drivers running that hot card, but if so changing the drivers in Windows can have no effect.

I couldn't tell from the link that you gave if the video card has both analog and dvi out or if it has only dvi out and analog for the Viewsonic is available through a D-to-A adapter. The adapter approach would avoid any issue of which output is active, but I'm starting to suspect that this may be more of an issue of Knoppix just not supporting that card. You might want to use the forum search feature to look and see if anyone else has reported results with that video card, but beyond that I don't know what else to suggest.

The video card can display at frequencies quite higher tham the Viewsonic will accept. You say that things looked OK in the Viewmeter, but you didn't actually mention what the viewmeter reported when the screen was blank. Had you reported these frequencies then I would be comfortable that the monitor was still getting a video signal and that it was in range, but I'll just take your word that this was checked and is ok, That does seem to rule out the DVI/Analog issue, as if a signal were being sent to the wrong connection then you would not have had in range signals on the viewmeter when the screen was blank (I don't know about your particular model Viewsonic, but mine will not even bring up the OSD when there is no video signal).

marhleet
12-03-2006, 12:35 AM
at what stage is it flicking to black ?

does it get to a desktop ? and then go screen saver to blank screen
does it do some of the linux booting up devices finding and lose the screen before desktop
does it go past the splashscreen to see the penguins top left and then nothing else ?

if it gets to a desktop, can you go
ctrl-alt-f1 to go to one of the dos-prompt screens ?

famousnation
12-04-2006, 01:42 AM
I found another thread that seems to be the same problem that I'm having.

Link - http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20939&highlight=x800

Apparently the options I have are:

1) boot Knoppix into text mode and update the driver
2) do option 1 while using a persistent disk image to save the new driver across sessions
3) install Knoppix to a HDD and update the driver
4) remaster with the new drivers

Only problem is the thread is dead and no explanation of how to do any of these was given. I'd rather not install to HDD, so if you guys know how to do any of these please let me know. :shock:

marhleet I get the booting screen and when it's about to load the desktop it flicks to black. I never actually see the desktop.

Harry Kuhman
12-04-2006, 03:14 AM
3) install Knoppix to a HDD and update the driver
Well, unless your purpose is to remaster, that's a pretty lame option. Why in the world install Knoppix, which is known to cause many problems, when you could install Debian and likely both avoid the problems and maybe get the right driver from the beginnng, or at least be able to install the proper driver (even the ATI driver with 3d support) without conflicting with anything already installed?

marhleet
12-04-2006, 08:50 AM
also, as you are referencing the other thread ...
but you didn't state it yourself ....
which version of the DSVD are you using

and if it's the 4.01, why ?

famousnation
12-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Gah, I'm using the v. 5.0.1 CD, so maybe that thread isn't relevant.

Maybe I should abondon knoppix and look into Debian as you suggested Harry.

I don't know. I'm new to all of this.

marhleet
12-06-2006, 09:22 AM
I have an uncorrupted iso image CD, correctly burned. However, when knoppix boots it seems to be successful, yet after I am given a brief message about windows xp the screen flicks to black.

I just booted a slightly older slower (small hard drive) system
and the last thing you see, in pretty blue
is the

Starting the X Window System

which would be just before it kicks into to gui mode

I'd be going with looking at re-fresh rates
one of my systems auto started at 100hz, which is ok, except i hadn't set my monitor to be centered there
put it back to 75hz and it was fine

now, that system part of X in
/etc/X11
I hink it's xorg.conf you want to check for enabling unavailable desktop sizes
so that would be where you might limit refresh rates

MrMoke
12-21-2006, 04:00 PM
You are not the only one with this problem. I have some new built PCs in my classroom that have ASUS A9250 AGP Video cards. The intent was to demonstrate how PCs with only a CD-ROM and no Hard Drive could still be used to access the Internet using the Knoppix disk.
I encountered exactly the same problem as you, and have been unable to troubleshoot the problem so far using cheat codes.

Monitor (tried several different models) and video card characteristics are recognized during the boot, and I can complete a boot to Mode 2. Any attempt to initiate startx results in black screen.

A significant commonality is that both of the Video cards are using ATI technology. :(