PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX = DEBIAN + KDESKTOP ?

Scottie
12-01-2006, 04:59 PM
I really like the look and feel of KNOPPIX. I find the CD really useful for recovery tasks, but...

Am I right in thinking that I could get a permanent look and feel of Knoppix by installing Debian then KDesktop?

OErjan
12-01-2006, 05:16 PM
that and a few other settings/patches/uppgrades would givr you knoppixlike apperance and feel. actually not much needs to be done for 90% of the things. some might need work but...

KDeb
12-10-2006, 10:39 PM
that and a few other settings/patches/uppgrades would givr you knoppixlike apperance and feel. actually not much needs to be done for 90% of the things. some might need work but...

Oh come on :( , how are you going to say that without throwing a few examples out? What's the other 10%?

Can anyone further expand on this? Knoppix basically IS Debian, but modified. Most if not all of what is on Knoppix can be found on or put in Debian. The wiki says that the content within Knoppix (the apps) are all taken from various versions of Debian.

One of the main things I'd like to know is: What does Knoppix have that Debian doesn't?

At this point, I believe I'm better off modifying Debian to look and feel like Knoppix than actually putting Knoppix on my harddrive. This would be much better for me.

OErjan
12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
the hardware detection is one,
another is in the scripts for networking...
for more specifics look on the texts on customizing.
I would guess that to most users, not much will be noticably different.
but if this is 100% true or not depends on what you hardware you have, what software you install and use it for... so for us to be specific you have to be.