PDA

View Full Version : "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem" on Intel 965?

pyromosh
12-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Hello, all!

I'm having some problems getting Knoppix to boot properly.

I am a Novice, but have used Knoppix on and off for a while now. Just to play around with.

Recently I upgraded my motherboard and processor and Knoppix no longer works for me. The disc still works on the other PCs in the house, just not my newest mobo.

Here are the specs of my PC before the upgrade:

Intel Pentium D 820
Intel D945PSN motherboard (945 chipset, obviously)
1 GB (512 MB x2) Crucial DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 64
80 GB Western Digital WD800JB IDE drive
120 GB Western Digital WD1200BB IDE drive
250 GB Western Digital WD2500KS SATA drive
Plextor PX-755A SATA DVDRW Drive
ATI X850 XT PCI Express graphics card
Old D-Link NIC, model unknown
Promise IDE Controller Card, model unknown

I changed the motherboard and processor for:
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300
Intel DG965WH Motherboard (Intel 965 Chipset)

Other than that and removing the now unnessisary D-Link NIC, and Promise IDE controller, this system is identical.

In other words, I know the Knoppix CD (it is a CD, version KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN) is good. I have booted it off of other PCs, and even booted it off this same system prior to the motherboard swap.

I suspect there's some kind of incompatability with the chipset, as I see others having similar problems. Mostly those others are told "Oh, it must be a bad burn" and "go read the FAQ". Well, I know it's not a bad burn, and the FAQ is not helpful for this situation. Any help would be appreciated though. Hopefully someone has some experience in this area. It's newer, but fairly standard, popular hardware, so I'm hopping it's supported!

Thanks in advance!

pyromosh
12-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Okay, solved part of my problem.

The default setting in the BIOS for SATA devices is IDE. It needs to be changed to AHCI. That let me boot. Only to find out there are no network devices. I suppose the onboard NIC isn't supported yet.

Krellan2
12-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Okay, solved part of my problem.

The default setting in the BIOS for SATA devices is IDE. It needs to be changed to AHCI. That let me boot. Only to find out there are no network devices. I suppose the onboard NIC isn't supported yet.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of getting one of those motherboards as well.

It seems to be DOA for Linux.

After a lot of searching online, finding workarounds for booting, only to find that almost nothing works (no network, no accelerated video, and so on).

Are there any Intel motherboards that are known to fully work out-of-the-box on Knoppix? I find Knoppix to be a great test for overall Linux compatibility of a motherboard.

I'm looking for an Intel motherboard, LGA775 socket, Celeron D processor, onboard video, onboard Ethernet, DDR2 SDRAM. Yes, it was supposed to be a cheap low-end system.

The computer store is starting to get sick of me. I have returned an Intel D102GGC2 motherboard, with a bizarre ATI chipset, also DOA under Linux. (I didn't know ATI ever made chipsets! After using this motherboard, I can quickly see why they didn't catch on :)

I will soon return this Intel DG965WH motherboard as well.

That is, if I can't find another use (http://www.phoronix.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192) for the Intel 965 chipset.... :)

n2nd
12-28-2006, 05:42 AM
I too have not been able to run Knoppix on my Intel DG965MS motherboard. However, I have installed Fedora Core 6 and Windows XP Pro on it. When I tried to change the SATA to AHCI, the BIOS warned that this is not compatible with Windows version prior to Vista, so I left it set to the (default) IDE. Fedora 6 requires the string "linux all-generic-ide irqpoll" after the "Boot:" prompt on the start-up string, and on the grub set-up screen you must check the custom kernel parameters (or something similar) box and insert the same string in the box that appears. I tried the same string with Knoppix, but it didn't help.

By the way, you must install Windows first on a dual-boot PC. I tried installing Fedora first and partitioning the disk to include vfat partitions for Windows, but the Windows install program crashed. I had to remove all the partitions before the Windows installation, create an ntfs partition during the install, and then install Linux later.

Hopefully, all versions of Linux will be updated to work with 965 boards soon.

Dick Maybach