PDA

View Full Version : Copy files from NTFS drive to another drive

Kehart25
12-03-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm setting up a NAS server on an old PC and one of the drives has all of my storages files (movies, music, pictures, etc.) stored on it. The drive is formatted as NTFS and FreeNAS can't read the files properly. I downloaded Knoppix and ran it and it sees all of my drives and files, however I do not know how to copy the files from one harddrive to another using Knoppix. My only computer experience is with Windows, so I have no idea how this is accomplished using Linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Harry Kuhman
12-03-2006, 06:05 PM
If copying to drives on the same computer, the other drives must be writeable (such as FAT). Then you need to mount the partition as writeable (Knoppix defaults to read-only as a safety measure). See answer #6 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) for details. Then you should be able to drag and drop the files to the new disk (or use the command line interface, although it sounds like you are looking for drag and drop).

If you want to copy the files to a different computer on a network, there are many ways to do this type of transfer. Persoanlly, I like to run an FTP server on the receiving system and use Konquror as a FTP client on the Knoppix system (it is significantly faster than dealing with Microsoft file sharing, and my personal observation is that MS file sharing seems to deliberately drag it's feet when it detects a Linux system). See answer #5 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) for more details.

Kehart25
12-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for. I got a pretty good laugh from the first line of your document "You are likely here because the answer to your question is the same as it was the last few hundred times it was asked and answered." I figured that was a question that had been asked before, but I always struggle with trying to find the right search terms to get the answers that I need.