PDA

View Full Version : Samba passwd

mrmdls
05-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I've set up knoppix on my hd, and set it up as a samba server, samba work's fine however, I can't get it to accept a samba password. In redhat, normally you set up the smbpasswd with cat /etc/passwd | mkpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd, then smbpasswd user. However, since I'm fairly new to debian I don't know the correct command to use.
Many thank's in advance,

Dave S.

RockMumbles
05-21-2003, 03:45 PM
As root, I run smbpasswd first for root, then for my other users.

smbpasswd root
then
smbpasswd username

rock

mrmdls
05-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Rock,

Sorry, I didn't get back to you before this, but away on a 5 day trip. Anyway, even as root, I still can't set my smbpasswd, as it states that there is no listing for my users ( I have added them to the group).

Thank's
Dave S.

mrmdls
05-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Hello everyone,

Well I finally got my smbpasswd working, I did a fresh install, added my group and users (before updating my samba packages), set my smbpasswd for root and knoppix-no problem, however, still would not accept my added users passwords. The difference was when it allowed me to set root and knoppix, it created the smbpasswd file(instead of being blank), this allowed me to add my users(using nobody as an example). After this editing I was then able to set my smbpasswd for my users.

Dave S.