PDA

View Full Version : mount rw not working

lgarcia3
12-09-2006, 09:28 PM
I have a crashed linux server (crashed during a thunder storm after the power went and came back repeatedly and would not reboot). I have tried several times to mount the partition on to read and write with no success. We are recovering the data right now with Knoppix using only the partition on read but some very important files were locked by the root user. We need to be able to write so we can change the permissions and unlocked those files. I've tried from the console to remount the partition but the computer freezes. I tried changing the icon on the knoppix desktop to fire up as read and write and the server crashes as soon as I click on it. Either way I end up rebooting the darn thing. I am using the standard command:

sudo mount -o remount,dev,rw /mnt/hda3 (without the 'remount' when I've tried just to mount it)

Wha can I do? I really need those files. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

lgarcia3
12-09-2006, 09:36 PM
forgot to mention that the partition is a ReiserFS partition

lgarcia3
12-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I tried this command as well:

sudo mount -t reiserfs -o rw /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5

and did not work either...

maxIT
12-10-2006, 07:17 AM
After a default mount (only read) try the remountrw command.
I guess this command require you've to be under X, since it make use of pop-up windows.
It is the default command when in KDE you right click on 'device-icon/actions/make device writable'.