View Full Version : one partition - poor man install

flaviusaetius2
12-11-2006, 10:27 PM
having just one partition on harddiskdrive
i can make a poor man install with
cheat codes tohd=/dev/hda1 and
fromhd=/dev/hda1 but then i can not
create a persistent home because the
linux don´t let me write on that partition.
it says may be an application is using it.

if i use an usb pen drive, i would have the same
problem /dev/sda1/KNOPPIX knoppix.img knoppix.sh
all them on the same partition.

what to do?

regards
flaviusaetius2

benx009
12-12-2006, 05:40 AM
um, trust me, you're better off splitting your hard drive up into seperate partitions, especially if you have a different Operating System on that partition (you didn't indicate whether you did or not). and what is this knoppix.sh file you speak of? i scanned my knoppix iso disc and didn't find it at all. as far as i'm concerned, if it exists, it's unneeded. if you know that you have no other OS on your partition, then you could first copy the knoppix.img file to your pen drive, edit bios so that it boots your computer from your partition and then, when knoppix is fully loaded, type knoppix-installer (or i heard it may be "knx-hdinstall") in konsole to bring up the knoppix installer menu. once there, you have the choice of creating partitions, which i strongly recommend you do first. you're going to need to make a swap partition, though i highly recommend that you also make another partition as well in case you want to use that as your /home partition or to make life easier for the future. once your done editing partitions, you can then progress the install on the partition you choose. good luck!