PDA

View Full Version : New Install, middle option - Beginner... Is this ok?

madivad
12-14-2006, 10:16 PM
BACKGROUND:
I have been playing with many linux distros over the last few weeks. Primarily Ubuntu. I had it installed on a laptop and fell in love, it worked effortlessly and sweetly. I decided to install it on one of my file servers. And it wouldnt work. In fact ANY distro I tried didnt work (I tried Ubuntu, SUSE, RedHat, Mandriva, and even straight Debian). I even tried many of the boot options which would get me to varying positions, but still no cigar.

The ONLY one that worked flawlessly (or even got to a point where I had a desktop) was Knoppix!

QUESTION:
So heeding the advice of many boards and even the instructions, I wanted a hd install, but knew that to install knoppix was wrong, so I went for the OTHER option, the beginner one.

Will I have any issues with this install? I mean, I have it installed and it is great!

I would love to install Debian raw from the Debian site but this PC seems to have so many issues that I find it all very daunting. So with the beginner option, can I upgrade (using apt-get) without the problems experienced by people who do the full knoppix copy/install?