PDA

View Full Version : wireless card recognised as ethernet card.

Matthew87
12-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Hey,

trying to setup my laptop so I can connect my Wii through it to the net. Somethings not working though... My laptop has one wireless card, one ethernet, and one dial up modem. I want to set the wireless to Master and got an error in the terminal:
iwconfig wlan0 mode Master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not permitted.
My first thought being my card doesn't support Master mode, but then I got thinking, not wanting to give up, so I set the root password and went root to try it again.
iwconfig wlan0 mode Master
SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
No such device, what? So I tried the next command that I thought could result in something.
iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"" Nickname:"HERMES I"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442 GHz Access Point: 00:03:52:EA:D6:90
Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Sensitivity:1/3
Retry limit:4 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=0/92 Signal level=-83 dBm Noise level=-121 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

eth1 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.
Now as I understand lo is the local routing, and eth1 is the connection I am using the internet through (checked via Ethereal). Now as far as I can tell eth0 should be wlan0, but isn't for some reason. Did I break something? How can I make this into wlan? I mean it's obvious that it is but obviously not recognised for some reason. Now I tried setting eth0 to Master, but I figured it should fail, but since I don't know Linux all to well, maybe it failed because my WiFi card doesn't support it.
iwconfig eth0 mode Master
SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not supported.

BTW what is "sit0"? And how can I simply lookup info about these connections?

And note I did use search but the threads I read didn't seem to apply to me.

Matthew87
12-17-2006, 02:29 AM
Basically this issue has resolved itself. I did not realise that the person who codes the driver decides what to call the device and thereofre eventhough the name is eth0 it is still wlan and my card just isn't capable of Master mode... I'm and creating a new thread now because I have some issues with a USB WiFi adapter...