PDA

View Full Version : V3.2-2003-05-20

Stephen
05-21-2003, 04:30 PM
* V3.2-2003-05-20 (bugfix release, and small updates)
- kdelibs 3.1.2 from Debian/unstable
- frozen-bubble works again, after an update of libsdl-console
- nessus and gnumeric update
- Added another radeon graphics card to the hardware detection
- Added Vera bitstream truetype fonts
- No change in openoffice, see below.

bamarob
05-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Cool!

Could someone please add the updated usbnet drivers (from 2.4.21 and later kernels)?

Thanks,

Robert

PLum
05-22-2003, 12:45 PM
i love knoppix ;)
but could someone add some drivers for flyvideo 3000 ? or/and sound blaster audigy ? or alsa sound drivers

bamarob
05-22-2003, 02:35 PM
Is this the proper place to be requesting added features/software? If not where can we make these requests so they'll be heard?

Thanks,

BR

mortenjohs
05-22-2003, 05:18 PM
I've tried dowloading KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-20-EN.iso 3 times from 3 different servers (for ex: ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/unix/linux/knoppix/) but I'm getting an error on the md5-check on all of them... Is this something like what happened to the early-april erroneus upload? Or is it the md5-sum that is old/wrong? Or maybe my ADSL-line is tired...?

Anyway; Thank you for the knoppix.

-mortenjohs

Stephen
05-22-2003, 05:20 PM
Is this the proper place to be requesting added features/software? If not where can we make these requests so they'll be heard?

Thanks,

BR

Try the bugzilla (http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/) when you report the "bug" use the request new program option.

Fabianx
05-22-2003, 10:09 PM
i love knoppix ;)
but could someone add some drivers for flyvideo 3000 ? or/and sound blaster audigy ? or alsa sound drivers

alsa is available. Jsut start with cheat-code: knoppix alsa

flyvideo 3000 ... dunno, but di you try bttv_configure from the Knoppix-Menü ?

cu

Fabian

Arman
05-22-2003, 10:21 PM
I've tried dowloading KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-20-EN.iso 3 times from 3 different servers Is this something like what happened to the early-april erroneus upload?
I have equal problem

ketthors
05-22-2003, 10:56 PM
I had no trouble downloading it, but the speed was varying from 190 - 420 KB/s on a 4Mbit ADSL line. :cry:

I downloaded as soon as I had seen the announcement, so that could have something to say.

This was ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/

seki
05-23-2003, 12:26 AM
I wonder if its just the english iso .. because I too have downloaded it twice .. it checksums fine .. the iso is written fine .. it boots to a kernel panic every time .. init doesn't fix .. although it says 2003-05-20-BETA .. perhaps we can expect this .. this is not the first instance I've had of a KNOPPIX iso giving an issue .. not good for those on slow connections :cry:
Can someone please double check the english iso - thanks in advance .. devoted knoppix advocate. :D

ketthors
05-23-2003, 12:42 AM
I've had no trouble with the english iso.

Duffin444
05-23-2003, 12:43 AM
I have an english copy that has a good MD5 checksum. The CD boots without a hitch and I am glad that the QTparted links are now working :wink: . Anywase....the english version looks fine to me and the md5 is good. Maybe it is a bad mirror upload.

Just a thought

aay
05-23-2003, 02:40 AM

Thanks,

BR

I suspect you'll have more luck by writing to the devlopers list (see Contact link above). Unless you want to try your hand at remastering though all we can do is suggest.

ifoutch
05-24-2003, 03:49 AM
Is anybody aware of issues with the V3.2-2003-05-20, hanging after running for aproximatelly 3 to 5 minutes. Doesn't matter what I am doing on the system. I tried starting it with different desktops, screen settings. It freezes for a minute, the screen goes black and after another minute, the CD auto-ejects! I'm running it on an older Dell Dimension L500C (Celeron). With an Intel 810 onboard video controller.

To the issue with English ISO's: I also had problems getting the files to md5sum properly. I had to download 4 different files before I got a good one.

Thanks
--Ian

Aleu
05-24-2003, 05:57 AM
Is anybody aware of issues with the V3.2-2003-05-20, hanging after running for aproximatelly 3 to 5 minutes. Doesn't matter what I am doing on the system. I tried starting it with different desktops, screen settings. It freezes for a minute, the screen goes black and after another minute, the CD auto-ejects! I'm running it on an older Dell Dimension L500C (Celeron). With an Intel 810 onboard video controller.

To the issue with English ISO's: I also had problems getting the files to md5sum properly. I had to download 4 different files before I got a good one.

Thanks
--Ian

As for me it works very nice. I am using the same release and everything seems to work fine.

dogstar
05-24-2003, 07:51 AM
If you have downloaded a good (English) copy that the md5sum program gave a good checksum for would you let the rest of us know where you got it. If you noted the download speed, that would be nice to know, too.

I've downloaded, KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-20-EN.iso, from Slugsite.Louisville.edu and ftp.gwdg.de. Both files are identical and give this as a checksum: e5bb350f94fb123df46e2902a3ee3a7a. Per the .md5 file it should be this: 4a8a34b040b653a9d102f1036827466a. I burned it anyway. It starts but hangs during boot. I found files listed in directories that couldn't be accessed.

Apparently from messages posted here there are good files and bad files floating around. Someone needs to point to the good files to help everybody else out.

Who do we report this too?

ifoutch
05-24-2003, 08:18 AM
I've now downloaded two good copies of KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-20-EN.iso. The sites were ftp.lancs.mirror.ac.uk at an average speed of 73 KB/Sec and ftp.sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/knoppix at an average speed of 98 KB/Sec. The other three attempts were all from the US mirrors, at much higher speeds :(

I'm going to try the download from the ftp.lancs site tonight and see if it hangs as well. I also downloaded the 5-16 to try if the other on hangs. I also put together another puter to try them on, in case it is some strange hardware issue.

--Ian

"May you solve interesting problems."
Dale Dougherty

Stephen
05-24-2003, 08:25 AM
Apparently from messages posted here there are good files and bad files floating around. Someone needs to point to the good files to help everybody else out.

I Downloaded my copy from here (ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/) and it works fine.

Who do we report this too?
I seen a post on the developers list already about the problem?? so hopefully someone will be looking into it.

mortenjohs
05-24-2003, 10:04 AM
I had no trouble downloading it, but the speed was varying from 190 - 420 KB/s on a 4Mbit ADSL line. :cry:

I downloaded as soon as I had seen the announcement, so that could have something to say.

This was ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/

Thank you. I dowloaded a copy from the abovemenioned server, and it checked out fine. :) But; now my Intel 82801 Ethernet Controller is not working, which is weird bedause it has been working perfectly with all my previous copies of knoppix... but that's another story. :?

ketthors
05-24-2003, 05:59 PM
[quote="ifoutch"]Is anybody aware of issues with the V3.2-2003-05-20, hanging after running for aproximatelly 3 to 5 minutes. Doesn't matter what I am doing on the system. I tried starting it with different desktops, screen settings. It freezes for a minute, the screen goes black and after another minute, the CD auto-ejects! I'm running it on an older Dell Dimension L500C (Celeron). With an Intel 810 onboard video controller.

I have no problems whatsoever with V3.2-2003-05-20. Could be trouble with your computer. Bad RAM, perhaps ?

Henk Poley
05-24-2003, 07:49 PM
I think we should have a bittorrent tracker for the Knoppix ISOs. That way you won't need to MD5 your file, since bittorrent will do that for you. It seems that the bittorrent client is as easy a installing the debian package (http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/bittorrent.html). and for Windows there are a couple of (more or less) official (http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/) builds (http://ei.kefro.st/projects/btclient/), and off coarse the newest beta of Shareaza (http://www.shareaza.com). That last one (once stable) adds the plus point that it shares on both ed2k and gnutella networks.

I might set up a tracker myself if I get to build my own silent EPIA PC, and it's silent enough to keep running overnight. Don't know if my ISP would like it.

Henk Poley
05-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Hmm, i've calculated what time it would take to upload Knoppix from my PC, you need to upload it at least once to another client. Since I also want to use my connection for normal internet, that would mean a max. upstream of ~6.5ko/s => 30hrs...

So uhm... No, unless you can link to a file located on an FTP server.

I'll investigate a bit.

Just as I thought, you tell a bittorrent client to 'download' to the complete file, after hashing the file it will upload the completed file fragments (everything) when needed. So you will need at least one client with a big(ger) pipe. One of the current HTTP/FTP mirrors seem useable to me.

Billy
05-25-2003, 03:35 PM
I downloaded V3.2-2003-05-20-EN fine from
ftp://ftp.cs.uni-frankfurt.de/pub/linux/knoppix/
Good connection at the max speed of my cable connection ~520kbps.
MD5 checked out OK.

I have found in the past that download optimisers cause MD5 errors on my system. I think the way they split the iso file into, say, four streams and download them simultaneously, then reassemble them into one file, causes problems on this large file.
So I now use the Right Click and Save Link Target As method.

Isn't Knoppix wonderful? :D

ketthors
05-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Regarding downloading in Windows:

I have never had *any* problem downloading the ISOs with SmartFTP
http://www.smartftp.com/

DavidTempler
06-20-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi All,
What about Myconfig=scan?

Dave :mrgreen: