PDA

View Full Version : XGL BERYL on DEBIAN etch/sid

Seyyapc
12-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Finally I 've testing this beautiful eye candy on my Debian BOX 8) because I didn't use KDE or GNOME (prefer fluxbox) I wait till I came up with a XFCE GUIDE for the testing.

For installation on Debian Etch/Sid go to: This Post from the Beryl Prokect Forum (http://forum.beryl-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=33) It install correctly, but it's only for gnome!.

If your prefer other Desktop Manager, after:
Download the .debs
- Install the dependencies
- Install the .debs all at once, otherwise you will get dependency errors because they need each other.
- Add the options to your xorg.conf file:
DO NOT RESTART X OR RESET COMPUTER..

FOR KDE
$Now for Beryl start automatically
$ nano ~/.kde/Autostart/startberyl.sh

inside:
#!/bin/bash
beryl-manager
(save and exit nano)

Last:
$ chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/startberyl.sh

FOR XFCE:
$ sudo nano /etc/X11/session/xfce4.desktop

inside:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=~/.xsession
TryExec=startxfce4
Name=XFCE4
(save and exit nano)

$ nano ~/.xinitrc

inside:

#!/bin/sh

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#

. /etc/profile
. $HOME/.bashrc

is_running() {
for pid in $(pidof “$1″); do
if kill -0 $pid 2>/dev/null; then
return 0
fi
done
return 1
}
xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

# start a dbus session bus, if it is not already running
if ! is_running dbus-daemon; then
dbus-launch –sh-syntax > $HOME/.dbus-env
fi
source $HOME/.dbus-env

# start beryl and beryl-manager
beryl-manager &
emerald &
startxfce4
IMPORTANT For XFCE: If you are editing the files when inside an XFCE sessión, you must not save the session on exit or the changes will not work

It works it's more shocking that viewing some videos, Hey my computer can make that wow, it's not slow, not sluggines, runs smooth ( Duron 1GHZ Geforce2 MX :oops: ) but on my opinion it's too much distracting for my liking, being from a Fluxbox WMG. XFCE with beryl is like a rollercaster :P something new, refreshing on my desktop :twisted: beautiful, shiny :twisted: on the end only a new experience to see someting new.

Call me old, call me too simplist, I 've come back to my Fluxbox WMG. Beryl is good, it really does what it preach :shock: :lol: but at the end of 25 minutes of testing, I realized that I didn't need it. :roll:

TESTED KDE 4:3.5.5.2 & XFCE 4.3.99.2, Debian etch
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6190/pantalla1jp.th.jpg (http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pantalla1jp.jpg)

I hope this guide help others

** Correction KDE config

SonGoCHaiN
01-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi, i've followed this post to install beryl+xgl on sid but when i choose xgl session nothing happens (kde splash doesnt appear). Could u help??

startxgl.sh

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/Xgl :1 -fullscreen -ac -br -dpi 96 -accel xv:fbo -accel glx:pbuffer &
sleep 2
export DISPLAY=:1
exec startkde

xgl.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=xgl
Exec=/usr/bin/startxgl.sh
GenericName[en_US]=
Icon=
Type=Application

Also i've beryl-manager on startup in kde and all files have execute permissions.

Thanks!

Seyyapc
01-23-2007, 01:28 AM
you only need ~/.kde/Autostart/startberyl.sh :oops:

The only problem I encounter on KDE & XFCE was that I 've to change my depth color from 16 to 24, for Beryl to show the windows decorations :P

onemyndseye
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi guys...

I use this for my start-beryl.sh

#!/bin/bash

DRI=""
DRI=$(glxinfo |grep "direct rendering" |grep -o -i "yes" )

if [ -z $DRI ]; then
echo "No Direct Render support found..." >~/.beryl/beryl-xsession.log
else
if [ -f ~/noberyl ]; then
exit 0
else
echo "Starting Beryl..." >~/.beryl/beryl-xsession.log
/usr/bin/beryl-manager >>~/.beryl/beryl-xsession.log &
fi
fi

this way beryl-manager is loaded by default..... UNLESS Direct Rendering is not available or ~/.noberyl is present.

To disable the auto-loading of beryl you would do something like echo "" >/home/onemyndseye/.noberyl (simply create a file named ".noberyl" in the home directory of the user that you DONT want autoloading beryl.

Also useful for when Beryl freaks out... sometimes I've noticed if it crashes while I'm using it.. SOMETIMES (and not often) it tries to default back to the beryl desktop (instead of the fallback desktop).. where it could crash again (and probably will if it crashed well enough to get you to this point once) right off the bat...sending you back to the Login manager..... so when this happens I just quickley create the file ~/.noberyl and restart KDE/KDM... beryl is gone until I remove the file.

Also, for sysadmins ...this way start-berly.sh can be included in the /etc/skel (default files for all users).... even if you dont want ALL users using it... to disable auto-loading just add the ~/.noberyl file as root. (this ofcaorse will only stop it from being auto loaded.....not stop it from being run)

This came about because I load beryl-manager at startup.... but beryl is configured to use the KDE desktop by default .. Because for the most part I like beryl, but I like to be able to quickly turn it off/on (to show it off mostly...lol).... ... anyways - one day after compiling a new kernel that in-turn broke my direct rendering support I tried to login to KDE only to see beryl crash from the start (even though beryl desktop wasnt the default) and return me to KDM login...the above script is the result. :)