PDA

View Full Version : errror at early install stage.

pazz
12-18-2006, 07:59 PM
my story is long, over 3 days now, so i'll make this as short as i can.

i got a small pc from a friend (300Mh, 128mb, 20Ghd) with-out any OS. I downloaded this Knoppix and it does run ok from the cd (sometimes with a pop-up saying there's a crash that has happened). now as this pc is a bit on the slow side i wanted to put the Knoppix on the HD. i've followed the right way to do it, but after i type in KNOPPIX-INSTALLER and go through the process about a partition, i get a message saying /DEV/1: NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY.

as i don't know much at all about this at all can someone please give my a way to sort this but in very, very simple language.

marhleet
12-22-2006, 11:17 PM
with an old pc
you are pretty much going to have an old cd-rom drive

300mhz, how old ? pre 1998 ....
you will need a slow burn cd media disk
and it will need to be a cd-r, not a cd-rw

at the first boot screen before anything happens, do the
knoppix testcd
instead of hit enter, asee if you can read the disk ok
it will take a while on the 300

Harry Kuhman
12-23-2006, 04:08 AM
I agree with marhleet on the importance of doing a slow burn. We differ in the belief that you can't use a CD-RW, I've used them on much older systems just fine. Yes, the testcd will take a while, even on machines much faster than 300 mhz. It may even take so long that the screen saver kicks in, so don't let that throw you. And the testcd command is much less effective than checking the md5 sum before burning, and burning at a slow speed with the verification option on in your burning software. In other words, testcd could still pass but you might have booting problems if you burned at high speed.