PDA

View Full Version : NO internet connection strange ifconfig results :S

Translash
12-19-2006, 12:00 AM
hello guys, im new to this forum as well as linux. i started usin knoppix a few days ago and everything worked fine...except for the internet. I used Knoquerer and firefox, but i cannot connect to any sites. An ifconfig brings up these results:

Link encap: Local Loopback
inet addr: 127.0.01 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: :: 1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

i did an ifconfig -a -v and it whosed that i had an eth0 device ethernet. I pull up wifimanager and it says that my car is...disabled? maybe i havent installed the linux drivers for my ipw 3945abg connection? what is happening???!!! :( :cry:

Harry Kuhman
12-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Unfortunately, wireless networking is a very weak point in Knoppix in general and in version 5.0.1 in particular. I have several wireless cards, only one of them has ever worked in Knoppix although some other distros recognize and properly use two other cards. On top of that, the one card that did work in 4.02 stopped working in 5.0.1. I don't seem to be alone in this, many people have wireless networking problems with 5.01. So while it's worth checking to see if your hardware does just happen to work with Knoppix, my suggestion is to not expend a lot of effort on getting your setup to work if Knoppix doesnt like it.

I you really feel you need wireless networking I would try a few other live CDs, including Puppy Linux, Mandirva and even Unbuntu to see if they have better luck.

Also, the number of people likely to have your same model of notebook is low, so it might help if you look at the hardware setup in Windows and recorded the the wifi chipset that your model uses. Thet way people might be able to tell you if the chipset has any Linux support, any Knoppix support, or is one of the closed source chip designs that so far is only supported under Windows.

Translash
12-19-2006, 07:12 AM
if i were to go out and buy an adapter, what should i buy for knoppix to work. Im actua;ly trying to get backtrack to work with the internet, but im gonna try out knoppix first. Any suggestions?

Harry Kuhman
12-19-2006, 04:01 PM
I know of nothing that can be bought to make 5.01 work. That not to say it doesn't work at all for anyone, but as I said it stopped working for me on the one card that did work on 4.0.2. Be advised and warned that manufacturers often change the hardware chip set but keep the same model number for their cards, meaning that all cards of the same model number don't use the same driver and thus not all are supported, so it's even hard to buy a card when you know a model that has worked for someone else. See the wireless networking section of the wiki, although very few people have made any contributions to it.

jmcneal
12-27-2006, 07:44 AM
i got knoppix 5.0.1 network working ,i did the following :

in terminal mode as root :

ifconfig eth0 up
route add default gw 111.111.111.111 (the ip address you assign to your gateway or modem)

if you have 2 or more networks take out the word DEFAULT for the rest of the networks( route add gw 111.111.111.2) . But i have to do this every time i boot up.

barndog
01-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the routing tip.

I have been using 3.6 for a while and thought it time to update to 5.01. It all boots fine and appears to work but refuses to connect to the network. ifconfig reported that it had got its address from the DHCP server. resolv.conf looked OK but nothing would route out of the box.

I opened up a console and typed in your two lines of magic incantation (preceeded by sudo) and all is now hunky dory.

Cheers :)