PDA

View Full Version : chroot problem

frustrated user
12-19-2006, 10:00 PM
I have followed the steps in http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto to the letter as well as many other remastering how to documents. The common thread in all is that when I attempt to chroot to the source directory if get the

chroot: /bin/bash: No such file or directory error.

I have done all the suggested steps in other posts and still have the same problem.

Any suggestions where I'm going wrong.

Nick

jim.titcomb
02-21-2007, 05:29 PM
You have probably uses a FAT32 file system, you need to be using a Linux file system of some kind or the permissions will all be nonsense

Jim

frustrated user
02-21-2007, 05:42 PM
I'll give that a try. I thought I had the right type, but I'll try again. Thanks for the pointer.

tr
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM
chroot: /bin/bash: No such file or directory error.

What Linux distribution are you using? If you can't chroot from your installed Linux, try to chroot from Knoppix CD.

-tapsa-

frustrated user
02-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that to see if it is the installed version or my operations.

Nick

JohnnyH
02-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Is the location, that is where you want to chroot, another partition ?
If so, make sure that it is mounted correctly from the command line by superuser

mount -o remount,rw /<mountpoint>/<partition>

boski
03-05-2007, 09:42 AM
hi

just curious have u solved ur problem. bcoz i'd the same problem long back n now ve now successfully completed re-mastering.

regards

kvbriggs
03-08-2007, 08:16 AM
edit: disregard this message, I posted in the wrong thread... :duh:

thanks guys. I'm off to bed for now but I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I've been at this project quite a bit this past week and needed a day or so to start fresh. I'll let you know how it goes!

joke
05-19-2007, 11:17 AM
I've the same problem that you have... any way to resolve??

I'm using the last version of knoppix live cd, in a laptop, and chrooting to a /mnt/sda1 and says tbat

'/bin/bash' : no such file or directory

I'm running with the livecd, and i've mounted the sda1 with -rw options, and it's a ext3 partition.

tr
05-19-2007, 09:12 PM
I've the same problem that you have... any way to resolve??

I'm using the last version of knoppix live cd, in a laptop, and chrooting to a /mnt/sda1 and says tbat

'/bin/bash' : no such file or directory

I'm running with the livecd, and i've mounted the sda1 with -rw options, and it's a ext3 partition.

This is really very strange. I just tested chroot and got amazing results: I can chroot to some partitions and some not! I don't find any logical answer why I can't chroot to some partitions. This don't seem to have anything to do with bash version or fstab options. Here's an old snapshot of Knoppix 3.3 and chroot http://linux.ilmainen.net/knoppix/kuvat/chroot.png how it should work.

The stange thing is also that using Fabian Franz's knoppix-remaster script chroot's happily without problems to those partition where I got that same bash error message as you do. This is a mystery to me.

-tapsa-

joke
05-21-2007, 09:58 PM
I finally use the HDA1 and works, but it's very strange that don't work with sda1...