PDA

View Full Version : Network with other O/S computers?

knew_guy
12-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Hi, new to the community.

Well, my HD just died and after failing to install windows 98, xp, and even the vista beta, I decided to check out Knoppix.

Everything is fine except there is no sound (not really concerned about that), but I was wondering if it is possible to transfer files over (Knoppix still sees the files on my dead HD) from my dead HD over to this current computer I am using (windows xp) through LAN? So far I've tried configuring the LAN through the xp end, but it isn't detect the computer running Knoppix (the internet is fine tho). So how would I set up a LAN between the two O/S?

Thanks in advance for help!

Harry Kuhman
12-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Yes. See answer #5. (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman)

While there are many ways to do what you want and Microsoft file sharing is supportd, exactly how it behaves seems to vary somewhat between the different MS OSs. I find the simplest way to transfer files between a Knopix system and a Windows box to run an FTP server on the Windows box and then use a FTP client on Knoppix (Konquror, the browser window that open when Knoppix boots works great for this purpose). This has the added advantage of running much faster than Microsoft file sharing (why MS file sharing is so slow I don't know).