PDA

View Full Version : remastering without knoppix installed or booted

sumpi
12-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Hi all!

I need to remaster knoppix, as I need distcc and gcc 4.1 on the boxes running knoppix. My problem is: I have gentoo installed and see no possibility to extract /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX into my hdd. I downloaded and mounted the iso and tried to mount the file with -o loop I also tried losetup loop1 but it did not work either. The problem is, that I can not boot knoppix on my machine, as it is used as server for others.
So is there a possibility to perform a remastering on another linux than knoppix or is there another live-system which fits my needs.

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Bye,
Sumpi

artik
01-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi all!

I need to remaster knoppix, as I need distcc and gcc 4.1 on the boxes running knoppix. My problem is: I have gentoo installed and see no possibility to extract /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX into my hdd. I downloaded and mounted the iso and tried to mount the file with -o loop I also tried losetup loop1 but it did not work either. The problem is, that I can not boot knoppix on my machine, as it is used as server for others.
So is there a possibility to perform a remastering on another linux than knoppix or is there another live-system which fits my needs.

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Bye,
Sumpi

Yes use qemu.

Setup qemu with HD of 5G (at least when 1G is swap and the rest is ext3) and run knoppix in qemu.

I've did all the Kazit Linux - Hebrew knoppix remaster from qemu - it is very useful and you reduce risk that something can mess.

Good suggestion - install kqemu - this will make the process a way faster.

Artik