PDA

View Full Version : why not install Knoppix?

cezar
12-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Good evening. It has been defended by the moderators not to install Knoppix under the argument that many things crash when it is installed. I have installed because I simply adore Knoppix. I have installed Knoppix 5.0.1. I simply adore it and the only problem I am facing is with the sound, that does not remain configured when the system is restarted. The question is: if knoppix is not to be installed why exists the knoppix-installer? There should not exist that tool, don't you agree? I do not regret having installing Knoppix is a wonderful Linux and I expect to solve the sound problem soon. Ah and I am not criticizing the Moderators, that question was just a reflexion. Thanks for your attention. Cezar

cezar
12-22-2006, 11:37 PM
sorry I meant reflection not reflexion, I invited everyone to think installing or not installing the excellent Knoppix 5.0.1 Thanks again. Cezar

marhleet
12-23-2006, 12:29 AM
i've installed
and now it's just part of the mission to find and work out how to work around problems

3 dual xeons
a dual athlon
and two p4's

now i don't feel guilty about ripping off Mr Gates
and my boinc is faster

Harry Kuhman
12-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Good evening. It has been defended by the moderators not to install Knoppix under the argument that many things crash when it is installed. I have installed because I simply adore Knoppix. I have installed Knoppix 5.0.1. I simply adore it and the only problem I am facing is with the sound, that does not remain configured when the system is restarted. The question is: if knoppix is not to be installed why exists the knoppix-installer?.....
Actually, no all moderators agree that Knoppix should not be install, some think it's a fine idea. I am one of the ones who does not think it should be installed. I've just seem too many reports of problems from it. Many things, particularly networking, seem to break frequently. Other things break if you try to update software or install any additional software. See the warning in the wiki about hard disk install if you want more details.

As to why is the script there? Good question. Someone got the idea that it would be a great thing to try to do and convinced Klaus to include the script. Over the years there have been many efforts to fix the script and while some changes have made some improvements at least two basic problems still remain: Networking still seems to be frequently reported as broken after an "install" even though the installer reports that it worked fine from the CD. And the problem of Knoppix being made of carefully selected parts of different versions of Debian that have been tested and made to work together but can't survive an apt-get update or an install of anything else persists. And if you look in the NEWS section of this forum you'll find a recent post that qoutes Klause that he is considering just removing the script.

marhleet
12-23-2006, 10:17 AM
it must be a particular peculiarity of some systems
my 6 had no problems with the internet on first installing

the lisa server did require configuring between the 127.0.0.1 and the 192.168.0.55
but that's minor and only related to local network browsing

I've now gotten through the root su password not working, though I know how to fix it i can't say which part of the fix got it to work
time date and timezone now shows correctly

wanna give me a new challenge ?

cezar
12-23-2006, 10:42 AM
As to why is the script there? Good question. Someone got the idea that it would be a great thing to try to do and convinced Klaus to include the script. Over the years there have been many efforts to fix the script and while some changes have made some improvements at least two basic problems still remain: Networking still seems to be frequently reported as broken after an "install" even though the installer reports that it worked fine from the CD. And the problem of Knoppix being made of carefully selected parts of different versions of Debian that have been tested and made to work together but can't survive an apt-get update or an install of anything else persists. And if you look in the NEWS section of this forum you'll find a recent post that qoutes Klause that he is considering just removing the script.[/quote]

Thanks, Harry, for your attention and explanation. Well, in my particular case, the only problem I am facing is with the sound. No matter I configure it perfectely with alsaconf + alsamixer + alsactl store and by using the kcontrol (sound system), whenever the system restarts I have to do everything again. But I have faith I will manage to fix it. Networking is perfect, and I have managed to install many new software with apt-get install. Of course,it is up to Klaus to decide what to do with the script and his decision for certain will be related the philosophy of Knoppix and unfortunately it seems not to be the installation but the use as live CD. It is a pity for those like me who have installed Knoppix and have adored it. I wish instead of not installing anymore it were possible both options:live CD and installation with the same excellent quality of the live CD. Knoppix is great and has been the basis of many other Linux and could offer to those (for certain not few!) who like it the possibility of installation and the reports of crashes could be used to fix them, improving the system. Just an idea...Thank you very much. Cezar

cezar
12-24-2006, 07:57 PM
The problem with the sound has been solved.I just inserted the references to the module snd_usb_sound and snd_usb_lib to the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and everything is perfect with my knoppix now :-) there is also an excellent suggestion on the following link : http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24802&highlight=sound+configuration
I take the opportunity to wish Merry Christmas to eveyone in this forum and thank for all the attention. Also, even respecting Klaus future decisions on the installation, I do hope there goes on being possible to install wonderful Knoppix. Cezar