PDA

View Full Version : English Knoppix 5.0.1,German menus in Konqueror and QTParted

XPuser1
12-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi. I wanted to install Knoppix 5.0.1 onto a partition of my computer's hard drive, all in the English language. A kind helper has provided me with two, Knoppix-5.0.1 and one Knoppix-3.8.2 installation Compact Discs (CDs). The German-instead-of-English-language problem is with the two Knoppix-5.0.1 CDs, the second of which is marked as being an English-language download. I set my Hewlett-Packard, Pavilion, ZE1110 notebook computer to boot from each of the Knoppix CDs. For the vs.-3.8.2 CD at the screen which has "boot:" on it with the computer waiting for my reply to that, typing "knoppix lang=en" worked to load the Knoppix Live CD. But on the vs.-5.0.1 CD marked as an English-language download, after typing "knoppix lang=en," the command was not recognized by the CD or computer; also nothing happened after pressing the F2 or F3 keys; also simultaneously pressing the "ctrl," "alt," and F1 keys did not move me to any new, text-only screen; neither were the commands "debug" or "knoppix testcd" recognized by the computer or CD. And before I knew that the default booting for an English-language download was in the English language, I also tried "knoppix lang)us," also without any recognition by the computer or CD. (Based on the "Hint" in the so-called "cheatcodes" description on the vs.-5.0.1 CD, I mistakenly thought the keyboard in use at the time had a German layout in which the simultaneous pressing of the shift and zero keys on my computer's keyboard would have in such a case been equivalent to the equal character on a German keyboard layout.) A possible key to the problem with vs.-5.0.1 CD is the message on the screen containing "boot:" that read "unknown keyword in config file." The only command which did anything useful for me was simply pressing my keyboard's return key after "boot:" with the Knoppix-5.0.1 Live CD.

Afterwards I could install Knoppix 5.0.1, with either of the commands "sudo knoppix-installer" or "sudo knoppix-installer lang=en" in a terminal program, onto a partition of my computer's hard drive. This then became a Debian installation of Linux on that partition of my computer's hard drive into which I could later boot my computer. But the menus for both Konqueror (which doubles as both a Web browser and file manager) and QTParted were each in the German language when I wanted the English language. At least for Konqueror this behavior was the same for two different vs.-5.0.1 CDs. Again note: One of them was marked as an English-language download by the kind person who provided it for me. The problem could be partly solved for one of the vs.-5.0.1-CD, hard-drive loads by installing and perhaps running localepurge from the downloaded package localepurge_0.0.74.deb; I think I kept only one English-language locale. The result was an improvement in Konqueror with just a couple of headings in German on the main window of Konqueror; the rest of the text and menus in Konqueror were then in English. However, in QTParted the menus were still in the German language, as I recall.

The first three questions in this paragraph all relate to getting Knoppix-5.0.1 menus in Konqueror and/or QTParted in English. Is there any solution at all to getting the QTParted menus in English? Is there a solution for Konqueror which does not involve localepurge? If so, what is a solution or what are the solutions? Without a good solution which I have yet found, this is an imaginable work-around set of "solutions" for people who understand English, but not much German. I imagine installing Knoppix 3.8.2 as a Debian/GNU Linux operating system on a partition of a hard drive, which as I recall did not have this language problem.--I hope this will be good for working with QTParted in English. But for using some of the recent hardware-recognition features which may be provided by vs. 5.0.1, one could use vs. 5.0.1 and perform a localepurge, choosing to leave only an English-language locale.

Even when the QTParted menus were in the German language, I could still determine which menu item was to resize a partition, based on the size of it being reported right after selecting that menu item. It at first appeared as though I could reduce the size of my Windows-XP-loaded partition by some amount that way; but when afterwards trying to increase the size of another partition by that same amount, I found that the resize option was in gray letters so that I could not select it to attempt to make such an increase. Then after closing QTParted and then reopening it, I found that the size of the Windows-XP-loaded partition was the same as before I at least thought I had changed it; so the final result was no net change at all to any partition's size. Particularly with regard to the "graying" of the letters of the German equivalent of the English "resize," I thought this might have been an indication that QTParted was not working as it should, totally aside from the language problem I had. But another possibility is that I could be missing some things in the correct use of QTParted. Thanks in advance for anyone's helpful comments here.

JohnnyH
01-06-2007, 05:09 PM
1.KDE LANGUAGE LOCALE
You need to be running KDE as root user (not <your-username>super-user) to change its root user language locale.
At the KDE login screen, select Console login. (If connected to the internet, it is a good idea to disconnect the cable, for security, whilst running as root). Log in as root, then
# startx
If this is the first time, the KDE configuration wizard should start (otherwise it's available via the Menu for Control Center), and you can select your country and language.
Then log out of KDE.
Then log out of root; after a few moments the KDE login screen should re-appear.
Reconnect the internet cable if applicable, and login as normal user.

This should work for Qtparted as well as Konqueror, as they share some libraries (but see below).

2.QTPARTED
Knoppix 5 uses libparted1.6. It allows different levels of access different filesystems (vfat, ext2,ext3...).
You will get increased functionality by upgrading to libparted1.7.
If you want to keep qtparted as the front-end, upgrade qtparted to debian unstable (valid at date of posting 6 January 2006)
An alternative to qtparted is gparted (from debian testing or unstable to use libparted1.7, as at 6 January 2006).

3. Good luck !