PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive Install

Gregwithoneg
05-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Myself and my learned friend have embarked on a mission to try out Linux, and we have to say how significant Knoppix is as an addition to the catalogue of Opertaing Systems.

Just one question however, of many.

How does one install Knoppix to the systems Hard Drive?
If possible, can it be setup to dual boot.

Thats two questions soz.

qa1433
05-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Myself and my learned friend have embarked on a mission to try out Linux, and we have to say how significant Knoppix is as an addition to the catalogue of Opertaing Systems.

Just one question however, of many.

How does one install Knoppix to the systems Hard Drive?
If possible, can it be setup to dual boot.

Thats two questions soz.

Check out this link. :lol:
http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

Paul 8)

qa1433
05-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Buy the way it is possible to dual boot.

Check out the doc's section of this site

paul 8)

Stephen
05-21-2003, 10:05 PM
There is a guide here (http://www.crouse.ws/knoppix.html) and a search of the forum will provide you with many of the answers you will need.

aay
05-22-2003, 12:30 AM
Whenever I have installed with Knoppix, the hdinstall script has automatically configured lilo to be able to boot operating systems on other partitions. I think this was broken in some previous versions of the hdinstall script, but I believe that it has been fixed for some time now.

Gregwithoneg
05-22-2003, 01:17 PM
As the heading suggests, we have succesfully installed, although not without problems.

First thing is that we now cannot see our hard drives except the partition that knoppix is on.

We cannot connect to the Internet via broadband.
We did however get a connection the first time we rebooted Linux but none since. It hangs when trying to configure the eth0 and then fails.
We are using an AEI fast ethernet adaptor.

Hope someone has a suggestion.

Oscar000
05-22-2003, 01:41 PM
I am GregwithoneG's associate. I am posting immediately after G's post because whoever reads this might be suprised to learn that we have just done the first Linux boot this morning (UK Time) and guess what? We have net!

No idea whats going on here . I simply used Scroll/Lock to monitor the boot up and there was no mention of initializing the eth0.. (What we could see at least)

G has informed me that when he is in Linux (and searching for clues) he found a usb viewer under applications/tools and he sees this message-:

cannot open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices
Verify that you have usb compiled into your kernel,
have the usb modules loaded/ and haven the usbdevfs filesystem mounted.

In fact I copied it word for word as it appears right now. Yet I have access. I know I shouldn't complain cos we now have access, but the problem is that we have no idea if we are going to have access each boot.

Has anyone any suggestions?