PDA

View Full Version : Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.

donkeyass
12-23-2006, 10:54 AM
i saw this post that was here recently about this but it didnt help. i get this message everytime i try to boot knoppix on my desktop which has a 256MB nvidia card, intel board, 1 GB corsair ram, 3.4 GHz intel dual core (800MHz fsb), and a new sony dvd drive (i have tried it on a few different drives though). the same burn works fine on my laptop (sony viao). i tried all the cheatcodes that were suggested and a few more. im not brand new to knoppix or linux, but i dont kno a lot about it. any ideas on what might be the problem?

marhleet
12-23-2006, 12:04 PM
far reaching idea.....
but my ideas on dvd drives and burning/burnt cd's aren't too good lately
and not much proof to the contrary

can you get
knoppix testcd
to work ?

can you web search your dvd drive and see if it has a bios update available ?
and if so, does it help after ...
be sure about the bios upgrade though, you can get it un-workable if you get it wrong

donkeyass
12-23-2006, 12:18 PM
i am like almost 100% sure its not the cd/dvd drive cause ive tried 3 of them and they all yeild the same error. i think i might go out and buy a different motherboard just to test it and see if it is that. i booted with NOTHING attaced to the board except a keyboard and the cd drive (and of course ram processor and power) and it said the same thing. the board is the only thing that i can think that is wrong with it, thing that pisses me off is though it brand new. its and intel DG965WH. i have tried dma and nodma, failsafe, nousb, nofirewire and a shitload more but i get the exact same error everytime.

marhleet
12-23-2006, 12:41 PM
what does knoppix say it finds in the system
and where does it say it is looking for the file system

donkeyass
12-23-2006, 01:04 PM
thats the weird thing, it doesnt. it only says that and then says someting like no dropping to a very limited shell. then it basically gives u a text command line to work with but with very few command options.

mjdc76
12-23-2006, 03:55 PM
I got a similar result (dropped into the limited shell) when I had issues getting my RAM detected. Have no idea if this is your issue, but the FAQ entry below fixed it for me (obviously, substitute your actual system ram for the 128M).

Q: My system memory is not fully detected, or the computer hangs shortly after starting with the message "Panic: cannot mount root file system"!

A: Some boards apparently report the usable memory size incorrectly to the Linux kernel. Solution: specify the system memory size as an additional "knoppix" boot option. For example, for 128 Megabytes use

knoppix mem=128M

(Note: make certain an upper-case M is typed after the memory size!)

donkeyass
12-23-2006, 09:40 PM
ya i already tried that :(

donkeyass
12-24-2006, 12:33 AM
ok well its not the mother board, i bought another one (asus) today and i get the same error. that leaves the problem at the cpu or the ram i guess. i have 2X512 DDR2 corsair and a pentium d dual core 3.4 GHz 800MHz FSB. anything come up with that?

marhleet
12-24-2006, 12:43 AM
the message is about the 15th line after it tries to boot into the system
it starts with the two penguins
and finding /dev/hda and /dev/hdc

then it looks for the system on /dev/hdc
then
then
then .......

can I plz get some answers and some details
does
knoppix testcd work ok
what's the hda and hdc (or b)
and what are they
chipset
anything else that might give a clue

how about ram=512 instead of that 2gb
swapped the ram sticks ?
tried the other mem slots ...
checked the ide cable is plugged in
tried a different cable ?

donkeyass
12-24-2006, 01:03 AM
it scans for everything and hangs a bit on the usb/firewire devices (nothing is plugged into them). at the moment i dont have an hdd plugged into it so it says 'searching for usb/firewire devices...done.' then it runs a bunch of text on the line below that which goes far too fast for me to read it and then it gives me the error. when i tried it with an hdd in it, it found the hdds right after it said 'searching for usb/firewire devices...done.' and it seemed to find them fine and it gave me the same message. i have tried different cables and they are all securly fastened. rearranging the ram and trying 512 doesnt work either. i am running testcd now. the media is fine though i am sure, because the same disc works great on my other computer.

donkeyass
12-24-2006, 01:13 AM
just did knoppix testcd and it did nothing, the exact same thing happened.

marhleet
12-24-2006, 03:34 AM
you tried three or so cd/dvd drives
have you tried a plain cd/cd-rw ?

it's finding the cd, cos it's booting
it's reading the cd, cos knoppix is starting to load
it's failing on the reading of the very large KNOPPIX file on the cd media
which is a combination of factors

yes, you can get it to work elsewhere ....
but did you also try this cd/dvd drive that is mucking up in that other system to see if it still works ?
I'm going with the media and drive so far

donkeyass
12-24-2006, 03:52 AM
ya i tried a regular cd drive and the same thing happened. well i burned them on the older drive that i had, i guess ill try burning it with the new drive that i have. maybe its something with that. do u think it might have something to do with the kind of ram i have? (corsair)

donkeyass
12-24-2006, 03:52 AM
ya i tried a regular cd drive and the same thing happened. well i burned them on the older drive that i had, i guess ill try burning it with the new drive that i have. maybe its something with that. do u think it might have something to do with the kind of ram i have? (corsair)

smeenz
12-24-2006, 04:37 AM
I have the same problem on a brand new Intel DQ965GF board (http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DQ965GF/index.htm), which uses the Q965 chipset (ICH8), and which has a intel dual core 6400, two physical hard drives confgiured in the BIOS as RAID1. Everything works fine in windows, although I did need a "f6 disk" to get it to see the RAID1 disk.. but the RAID stuff shouldn't affect booting off a CD.

My guess is that it can't find the (PATA)
DVD as it hangs off the Q965.. although I would have thought it would have looked enough like a PATA controller to be able to boot knoppix.

'knoppix testcd' fails due to not being able to find the knoppix filesystem.

Slackware 10.2 boots fine from CD (with bare.i and a 2.4.31 kernel). It finds a PIIX/ICH PCI router, and when ide loads, it says hda and hdb from BIOS are both ignored (C/H/S=0/0/0). The usb driver finds an external USB drive I have connected (as a /dev/sda), and no DVD drive.. The root filesystem reports itself as /dev/fd2, so apparently it booted through floppy emulation.

I'll try it with ubuntu 6.10 livecd after I finish downloading it and see what that does

smeenz
12-24-2006, 05:40 AM
Further to the above.. ubuntu craps out as well, but in different ways.

And then I found this article (http://www.blindedbytech.com/2006/11/10/how-to-install-fedora-core-6-on-intel-dg965ss-motherboard/), which fixed everything.

The key thing being the kernel commandline needing this:

knoppix all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

and then it boots.. no doubt with minimal or no hardware acceleration, but at least it boots and points to where the problem is.

Output of lspci, while up and running is loads of "Intel corporation: Unknown device xxxx", where xxxx is a bunch of different numbers. I can provide full details if anyone wants it.

IDE shows as

0000:03:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.: Unknown device 6101 (rev b1) (prog-if 8f [Master Secp SecO PriP PriO])
Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.: Unknown device 6101
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
I/O ports at 1018 [size=8]
I/O ports at 1024 [size=4]
I/O ports at 1010 [size=8]
I/O ports at 1020 [size=4]
I/O ports at 1000 [size=16]
Memory at 92100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Capabilities: [48] Power Mangement version 2
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
Capabilities: [e0] #10 [0011]

The DVD is detected at /dev/hde (device node 33,0), using ide-cdrom driver 4.61

According to dmesg, hde was found on interface ide2. BM-DMA at 0x100-0x1007 on irq 17

I hope some of this helps work out why the 965 chipset is causing it to fail to detect anything by default

Oh, also, it doesn't recognise my ethernet card (Intel:2994) off the bat, which I guess is just another result of the 965 chipset being so new... if I modprobe e1000, it loads and finds the card, but gets the MAC a wee bit wrong (shows it as 00:90:27:00:01:b6:a0:e3:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00).. it can ping itself, but can't ping anything further away.

donkeyass
12-24-2006, 08:01 AM
ya i tried ubuntu and backtrack and they didnt work either. so do u think there is any way to bypass that or fix it?

smeenz
12-24-2006, 08:06 AM
ya i tried ubuntu and backtrack and they didnt work either. so do u think there is any way to bypass that or fix it?

I imagine the real problem is with the linux kernel.. but since knoppix modifies the bootup sequence quite significantly, it may be possible to fix it in knoppix, or work around it... depends what the developers think

donkeyass
12-24-2006, 10:01 AM
if the problem was in the kernel, why does it work on other computers?

smeenz
12-24-2006, 10:46 AM
if the problem was in the kernel, why does it work on other computers?

Other boards with Q965 chipsets ?

donkeyass
12-24-2006, 10:52 AM
o ic, so ur saying that the problem might lay within the kernel not being able to work with boards with that chopset, ya?

smeenz
12-24-2006, 10:54 AM
o ic, so ur saying that the problem might lay within the kernel not being able to work with boards with that chopset, ya?

Yes.. and possibly also with other recent SATA chipsets.

donkeyass
12-24-2006, 11:13 AM
ahhhhhhhhhh, makes a bit more sense now. so if that is the only problem, we can only hope for an update in knoppix v 5.0.2 or the next version. no real fixing it now huh.

marhleet
12-26-2006, 12:31 PM
it's with the non-standard need drivers to run even in windows
sata/pata stuff

and notebook interfaces which get interpreted as some sort of scsi where the
noscsi option or was it
something atapi
helped

donkeyass
12-27-2006, 10:12 AM
ooo i c

ferlon
01-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Well, knoppix have the same problem as other Linux distros!

On other d-lists I find a L-expert saying the problem isn't the 965 chipset (which controls SATA drives, the next drivetechno default). Intel is discontinuing PATA/IDE own solutions and then, problem: the IDE chipsets included in the mobos --Marvell in Intel boards or JMicron in Asus / Gigabyte...-- are unsupported by the kernel versions older than 2.6.18, itself included.
At kernel.linux foruns there are several messages, people searching patch solutions. Recently (28dec) on a suse d-l somebody said kernel 2.6.19 or newer are OK.

A Strange Note repeated: On my Intel DG965WD + Core2Duo 6400 --all 64 bits' tech-- the unique distro I arrrived to partially setup: FC6... 32 bits version, whit a Kl 2.6.16 ! (that, using the comand "all-generic-ide noirqpoll" on the installation boot line, as said by others here.)

f

johann_p
03-22-2007, 09:09 AM
I have the same main board and had the same problems with all versions of Knoppix and Ubuntu Edgy.

OpenSuse 10.2 worked without any problems though, and recent versions of the Ubuntu development version (Feisty Fawn) also do work.

wolvenclaw
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Hello

I'm experimenting on a Windows Server 2003 with DQ965GF motherboard. Just wanted to let you guys know I'm experiencing the same difficulties and the problem to me seems Floppy Emulation

I have tried:

Bart PE > works: uses no floppy emulation
Knoppix > doesn't (the error you guys got; does knoppix use floppy emuation to boot from?)
My own bootable cd which uses floppy emulation > hangs before it starts; worked on my laptop
USB stick > hangs > uses floppy emulation
All kinds of dos disks > works, but mostly doesn't find my cd-writer.

The main thing I'm trying to do is to get my Iomega REV drive to work under some kind of DOS so I can make an offline ghost backup of my disk. After trying several floppy's made by Iomega software that didn't work (driver issue or something) we found out a supplied CD was bootable:

On my pc: hangs
On another pc: works! > and it uses floppy emulation again!

So if you could confirm Knoppix uses floppy emulation we can be quite sure there's something up with the DQ965GF floppy emulation support...