PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix on External USB Drive ? Cheat codes? Use to Rescue?

chipslayer
12-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Greetings,
I have a hard drive I took out of an old notebook and put into an external USB enclosure. I split it into 2 partitions and knoppix sees them as sda1 and sda2. Here's what I want to do.
1) copy Knoppix 5.0 dvd to partition 1
2) use a Knoppix CD to boot a computer but have it use the usb drive partition 1 as the source for Knoppix
3) install f-prot on sda2 to use to scan infected Windows machines
4) copy files from the windows machines to sda2 to save valuable/unreplaceable data.

Here's what I've accomplished:
1) Using fdisk I managed to make 2 partitions and formated them as ext3 and fat32.
2) Using tohd cheat code I managed to copy Knoppix 5.0 DVD to sda1 (at least it shows a folder saying Knoppix that has an image and a bunch of files on it!)

Here's my stumbling blocks:
1) I can't figure out how to get a bootable DVD or CD to use the sda1 copy rather than the DVD which is very slow. I want to use a CD to point to sda1 as many machines I work on can't boot from a USB device, don't have DVD drives but I want the capability of the DVD. Here's what I've tried at boot up:
a) knoppix lang=en keyboard=us fromhd=/media/sda1 --result--boots from DVD
b) knoppix lang=en keyboard=us fromhd=/mnt/sda1 /dev/sda1 -- result -- boots from DVD

Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing. I've been using Knoppix Hacks, Hacking Knoppix books and doing some reading on forums and googling. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom

rusty
12-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Hmm,

Try fromhd=/dev/sda1

HTH

chipslayer
12-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Hmm,

Try fromhd=/dev/sda1

HTH

Thanks, Rusty, but that gave me back "file system not found" and dumped me to a very limited prompt.
Tom

jfitie
12-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Hmm,

Try fromhd=/dev/sda1

HTH

Thanks, Rusty, but that gave me back "file system not found" and dumped me to a very limited prompt.
Tom

it will work if you use minirt_usb6.gz instead of miniroot.gz.
Get is here: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_usb6.gz

/Johan

chipslayer
12-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Hmm,

Try fromhd=/dev/sda1

HTH

Tom

it will work if you use minirt_usb6.gz instead of miniroot.gz.
Get is here: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_usb6.gz

/Johan

Thanks Johan,
Just clicking on the link opened it as a text file. I'll have to do some research to figure out how this applies to my situation. And the holidays are tying up lots of my time. I'll keep plugging away at it.
Tom

rusty
12-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Not sure if this this will help but perhaps using the tohd method to copy the knoppix files would work better: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Basic_Poor_Mans

Good luck.

onemyndseye
12-26-2006, 04:51 AM
Download the *.gz archive mentioned above.... and unzip it. Contained within is a modified Ramdisk to get you booted from a USB device.

I use this same setup (with a HD install) (Am posting from it now infact) and LOVE IT.... best "toy" I've ever had :)

Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye