PDA

View Full Version : Display Errors, 640x480 resolution only

shadowics
12-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Hello,

I have previously used Knoppix successfully on on older computer, but I'm having some problems on a newer one.

Immediately after the boot prompt, I get "You have passed an undefined mode number.." no mater what I pick it continues booting. Once x windows starts, the display is 'stuck' in 640x480 mode, taking up only the middle part of the screen, with vertical blue stripes covering the entire screen, both the display area and the black areas around it.

From the end of the startup log (using ctrl+alt+F1) I have:

Video is Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device, using Xorg(vesa) Server.
Monitor is Generic Monitor, H:28.0-96.0kHz, V:50.0-75.0Hz
Using Modes "1024x768" "800"x600" "640x480"

I have tried several 'cheat codes', including "screen=1024x768" and "fb1024x768" but it's always the same.

Also, after looking at any of the console displays, trying to return to x windows (ctrl+alt+F5) gives me a completely black screen with blue stripes, no response to mouse of keyboard.

Thanks.

Edit: I suppose I should note, also, that when WinXP was installed on this computer, all of the resolutions worked fine, including 640x480 and 1024x768.

marhleet
12-26-2006, 12:39 PM
vesa is the old old standard that is one step above vga/cga/xga
it woul dbe very basic

you would have a lates greatest chipset that knoppix doesn't know about

but i'd say that a generic intel 810/815 might work sufficiently

check in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf if you have it installed
or something close to that for ideas on what to do next ....

shadowics
12-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes, I can tell.

I wouldn't exactly call it latest and greatest, the computer is 3 years old now, and it was cheap when I got it.

I don't have knoppix installed, but I can look at the xorg.conf file, and I have a usb driver I could store the settings on, if that would work.

Unfortunately I don't configure linux systems very often myself, where would I look for more information?

Also, I managed to 'convince' knoppix to configure to (fbdev) with the 'cheat-codes', but that looks even worse, the blue stripes remain, and the image flickers noticable.

shadowics
01-07-2007, 09:47 PM
I happened to find an old knoppix disk today, so I decided to try it.

Knoppix 3.8.1: It recognized and loaded my display perfectly; !024x768 and filling the entire screen.

Unfortunately, it didn't recognize my keyboard or mouse, preventing me from doing anything with the wonderful display.

So how did Knoppix lose compatibility in the newer versions?

onemyndseye
01-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Try editing your xorg.conf to use the i810 driver.... this works very well for me :)

towards the bottom....look for the entry that says "vesa" and change it to i810.....your mileage may vary but this worked for me on several systems..

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye