PDA

View Full Version : German Terminal

tysonetri
12-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi,
I'm rather new to Linux, but have foundation skills. I recently HD Installed Knoppix 5.0 to my laptop working through a German knoppix-installer on the basis that after installation I could revert my language back to english. First problem I encountered was logging in under a German keyboard layout, for which I was forced to download a German Keyboard layout. After which I was able to access the KDE Control Centre and set my language to English for the KDE. This worked well and MOST KDE applications now display in english, with a few still starting in German (Ndiswrapper config, netcardconfig, etc) However, using terminal or konsole still returns manual files in german and all errors in german, as is the case in the login screen. I have changed the settings in /etc/default/locale to lang_en_US.
Is there any command I can run, or operation I can preform to set Knoppix to default english and US Keyboard layout?
Thankyou in advance

marhleet
12-29-2006, 11:50 PM
check the
Knoppix
Control Center
System Administration
Login Manager
Administrative Mode
Locale - Language

that field is not set to anything by default
and the top of the list is the Germanic language
change it to the second option

onemyndseye
12-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Maybe this is too obvious.... but be sure you are passing the lang=us option through your bootloader.

easy way to check:

cat /proc/cmdline

will display all of the bootflags that were passed to the kernel

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

tysonetri
12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Thankyou for your help,
After trying both methods, and still struggling with German I just reinstalled knoppix with the correct cheatcodes,
However, your replies are much appreciated