PDA

View Full Version : live cd prepares correctly and then stops

moevmie
12-30-2006, 03:34 AM
Hey,

I'm trying to boot with the live cd, and he doesn't give any errors while preparing, but after he sais 'enjoy' or something in the end. The black screen comes, with the little line blinking, and then even that goes away. and then nothing.
Then the cd calms down and nothing happens anymore.

Does anyone know why and how to fix it. because i've tried other live cd's, but they all do the same thing.

I have a:
ASUS A8V Deluxe
Athlon 64 3000+
Asus A9250

thanks in advance

M

ILoveKagome
12-30-2006, 04:39 AM
is it a 64-bit processor

maybe those versions dont work well on a 64 bit processor

look at the site and see if they have a 64 bit version availble

just a guess i have a 32bit so i really dont know

moevmie
12-30-2006, 11:16 AM
no, actually i've tried the versions for the 64bit processors. so it can't be that.
i actually really don't know.
but thanks
m

moevmie
12-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Could it be because my hard disc is in NTFS??

m

MrMoke
12-30-2006, 03:17 PM
The PCs that I mentioned in the referenced thread use the same Motherboard and Video card as yours, although I'm using a Sempron processor. This would seem to indicate a problem with that hardware. I haven't been able to create a cheatcode combo that will work. You might try the "knoppix 2" cheatcode to see of you can boot to the command prompt line. That will at least give you somewhere to start. Running the "startx" command will continue to give you the black screen until someone can figure out what is going wrong.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26042&start=10[/quote]

marhleet
12-30-2006, 11:35 PM
at the finished and quiet blank screen....
assume it's all worked "fine" and it's waiting for you

the vga combo isn't quite right but it needs adjusting

do
ctrl-alt-F4
to a TTY screen
lspci
or if you can get it off there
lspci > pc.txt
and get the contents of pci.txt back here to look at

then, also go to
cd /etc/X11
joe xorg.conf ( ctrl-c to exit without changing )
look through the xorg.conf and see what it's auto configured you as
it references in the file that it's auto added by
mkxf86config
but in my installed version that isn't there and it uses
mkxorgconfig
(you can do the > xorg.txt with that too)

the screen is probably running in a too high refresh rate for your monitor and the xorg.conf can be adjusted so it uses a lesser rate
and again, I can't figure it out
must go and do research, but hard to see where

check the section "Monitor"
and the line about VertRefresh

moevmie
12-31-2006, 12:16 AM
i've tried ctr-alt-F4,
but nothing is responding. it just seems to be stuck. I'm a newbie to linux so maybe i'm also not doing it right.
i've also been trying some cheat-codes. but it still gets stuck on the same moment.

i'm not sure what to do.

do you think it would be different with another graphic card?

marhleet
12-31-2006, 02:22 AM
depends
if it is "IN" the gui desktop then you should be able to

ctrl-alt-F1 /F1 /F3 /F4
from the boot cd
when it's installed you get to do F5 and F6 as well

and the F1 screen shgould show the last of boot screen just before the gui kicks in
for any last second error messages

if its not an error from the cd being read wrong and the gui can't load properly because of it
then a diff vga card would be good
one of mine has a plain S3 86c325 virge card in it

Jack Flushell
01-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Maybe the same problem as mine (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26296). Try turning off Cool 'n Quiet in BIOS.

moevmie
01-04-2007, 07:10 PM
thanks, but actually it was turned of already, i still haven't found a way of making it work.

m

anuj_inurdreamz
01-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Hello i m new to linux.... can u people solve my problem...

i hav downloaded the cd of knopix it was sized 697mb... then i burnd it to a blank cd... it was done sucessfully at speed of 24x (buring speed)...

then wen i insert that cd again in my system in my computers it was showing the icon of knoppix at the cd drive.. then i thought that i burd it correctly.. then i reeboot my system... i changed my boot priortyies.. then my pc rebooted , cd was moving in rom, the screen was black and a single line was there blinking... after 10 sec cd stops and my normal windows opens....

plzz help me in opening knoppix..... i dont know wat are the cheat code for it... plzz help me...

my system configuration is:-

AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core prosessor 3800+ 2.01ghz
1 GB Ram
300 GB Hard Disk
DVD Writer
ASUS Mother Board
Nividia G-Force card

Harry Kuhman
01-07-2007, 07:49 AM
See answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

anuj_inurdreamz
01-07-2007, 07:54 AM
thanks but but i have done evrything which is there in answer 1..... my cd is good quality and its beahve the same in my frnds laptop, black screen and the blinker for some moment and then windows.....

plz sir help me....

Harry Kuhman
01-07-2007, 08:11 AM
i hav downloaded the cd of knopix it was sized 697mb... then i burnd it to a blank cd... it was done sucessfully at speed of 24x (buring speed)...

thanks but but i have done evrything which is there in answer 1.....
Are you sure? I'll grant you that a high speed burn usually will not fail the same way in multiple systems, but I would consider 24x too fast for burning the CD. I also wonder about the other things. Did you really confirm the md5 sum? Did you burn the disc as an image? What do you see when you look at the burnt CD under Windows? What do you mean it was showing the Knoppix icon, just where did you see this icon and what did it look like? You gave the size, but in a very crude way, in the future you would do yourself a favor if you give download file size in exact bytes, not in megs, as a few bytes lost or gained is hard to catch this way. However, if the md5 sum is correct then the the file is good, if you you are not checking the md5 sum then I guess I don't care either.

I don't know what your problem is and you'll need to post more information for anyone to help you, but I would very much like to make a large wager that whatever it is is already covered in the downloading faq.

anuj_inurdreamz
01-07-2007, 08:46 AM
sir actually the file which i have downloaded is not image file... it was a rar folder which i have extracted in a folder and then ll the files of that file has been burn into a cd...

now wen in a running windows wen i enter a cd the icon of cd drive in my computer change into a penguine's pic..
731,598,848bytes it is the exact size of the cd.....

wat is md5 sum???????

wat more info u want tell me i will give...

Harry Kuhman
01-07-2007, 08:59 AM
sir actually the file which i have downloaded is not image file... it was a rar....
No, you are wrong, see answer #1. It was not a rar.

it was a rar folder which i have extracted in a folder and then ll the files of that file has been burn into a cd......
That will not work. Answer #1 explains why.

now wen in a running windows wen i enter a cd the icon of cd drive in my computer change into a penguine's pic..
That hardly maters any more, we now know what is going wrong.

wat is md5 sum???????
Are you kidding me? You said thanks but but i have done evrything which is there in answer 1..... How could you have done the md5 test and then later ask this question?