PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.1.0

Abraxus
12-31-2006, 01:42 AM
5.1 has been released. Both CD and DVD. I'm downloading it now. Beryl and ntfs-3g and aufs. Sounds great.

ckamin
12-31-2006, 06:37 AM
Right on schedule and just as anticipated. The CD seems good so far and the DVD will be a little while longer on Bittorrent.

Thanks!

marhleet
12-31-2006, 07:14 AM
gee, i spose i should
but i got all my ones installed
do they need upgrading ?

anyhoo, i better go get it

kirol
12-31-2006, 10:31 AM
From the changelog:

* V5.1.0-2006-12-30 (see also: Release Notes at http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix51-en.html)
- Update to Debian etch/testing as base distribution
- Linux Kernel 2.6.19(.1) + fuse 2.6.1
- cloop 2.05 Realtime Decompression with extended block-buffering for reduction of CD/DVD access latency
- Replacing unionfs by aufs for better stability & performance
- KDE 3.5.5 + [DVD only] GNOME 2.14
- OpenOffice 2.1 (german and english)
- Iceweasel (formerly known as Firefox) 2.0 and Icedove (f.k.a. Thunderbird) 1.5.0.9
- ntfs-3g (12.12.2006) for full transparent NTFS write support, also tested with boot options knoppix tohd= and knoppix romhd=.
- ntfsprogs-Update (ntfsresize, ntfsmount, ntfsfix)
- integration of 3D desktop beryl+emerald as add-on for KDE (manual start with gnome is also possible), via boot option knoppix desktop=beryl.
- Experimental script for creating a bootable flash-pendrive from a running KNOPPIX live session (mkbootdev by Martin Öhler)
- [CD] removed mysql because of space reasons. :-(
- very new version of frozen-bubble with LANmode support :-)

Maud_Dib
12-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Woo Hoo ! Downloading the English CD now from the Wisconsin Mirror at 900+ KB/sec !
Then I'll have to burn Six copies for My AMD 64 folding farm :)
Thats two 3200+ venice , an X2 3800+ manchester , an Opteron 165 , an Opteron 170 ,and an Opteron 175 for a Ten core total !
Merry Christmas and Certainly a Happy New Year !

mr-roboto
12-31-2006, 02:34 PM
What happened to the public beta ? I was regularly visiting this sub-forum waiting for news, then suddenly I popped over to LiveCD News and it was already out. Obviously, it was tested but inquiriing minds want to knwow.... 8)

br8kwall
12-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Anyone got a torrent available yet?

br8kwall
12-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Never mind.

http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

Harry Kuhman
12-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Anyone got a torrent available yet?
Well, duh! The official torrents have been running since the release. 178 seeders who have finished downloading but are still seeding for the EN CD (I'm one of them), and a healthy number of seeders for the DVD too (remember, you get seeded from those still downloading too as well as those only seeding). While in a few cases someone might find a fast mirror I generally find the official torrent much faster and certainly more reliable. Follow the Get Knopix link at the top of this page to get to the official tracker.

marhleet
12-31-2006, 09:50 PM
I got mine ftp from california, local mirrors take a while to get knoppix updates
39.47 minutes with getright, 299.3kb/s, gotta love cable

Abraxus
12-31-2006, 11:02 PM
If anyone has any success with using wireless I'd love to hear about it. I have an ACX100 card that hasn't worked in knoppix since 5.0. I used NDIS wrapper then. I am really hoping this is fixxed but I can't just test it because the computer is currently "on the bench".

What do you think of it so far?

sci_fi
01-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Hi Abraxus,

I have had no success with ndiswrapper on 5.1. Not sure why. None of the "tricks" from many distro's using nidswrapper have worked here.

One observation. My wireless card shows up as either eth1 or once as eth0. Never as wlan0.

I was able to get an atheros pcmcia wireless card (native linux support) to work, however.

Otherwise, what I have seen of 5.1 is impressive. Looking forward to using it.

Best Regards,

sci_fi

Harry Kuhman
01-01-2007, 03:37 AM
Well, IMHO wifi support in 5.1.0 is still mucked up big time. Knoppix recognizes the one card that worked well under 3.8 to 4.02, both green LEDS come on, and Kwifimanager knows a wifi nic is there. but it never finds the access point. Configuring doesn't help. Nore does bringing the computer next to the wireless router. Just reports 0 signal strength and out of range. Same problem I had with 5.0.1 although 4.02 worked fine. And Knoppix 5.1.0 doesn't even recognize the built-in wifi in my new notebook (not that I expected it to, Kwifi manager just shows no hardware available). Given that most users seem to expect that they will have some chance of getting wirelress to work on a live CD, I don't think I'll be giving out any free 5.1.0 discs. I hope it works better for others than for me; please report any sucess in the wifi section of the wiki so other looking for it can find it easiy.

felix
01-01-2007, 06:44 PM
How did you get that atheros card to work? Which atheros chipset?

Hi Abraxus,

I have had no success with ndiswrapper on 5.1. Not sure why. None of the "tricks" from many distro's using nidswrapper have worked here.

One observation. My wireless card shows up as either eth1 or once as eth0. Never as wlan0.

I was able to get an atheros pcmcia wireless card (native linux support) to work, however.

Otherwise, what I have seen of 5.1 is impressive. Looking forward to using it.

Best Regards,

sci_fi

mr-roboto
01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
If anyone has any success with using wireless I'd love to hear about it. I have an ACX100 card that hasn't worked in knoppix since 5.0. I used NDIS wrapper then. I am really hoping this is fixxed but I can't just test it because the computer is currently "on the bench".

What do you think of it so far?

I can't comment about what worked or didn't under prev versions, as I've just started really using Knoppix w/ this release, but I'm typing from my ad-hoc WiFi router, assembled w/ 5.10. For the record, I'm using a Broadcom-based Motorola WPC825 PCI WiFi card. I kludged my setup together w/ NDISWRAPPER and bcm4xx-fwcutter firmware ripper....

sci_fi
01-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi Felix,

My apologies. I have been unable to get this card to work again (I must have screwed up earlier, but I sure thought it worked once).

Anyway the card is a Proxim Orinoco 11 a/b/g client combo card Silver pcmcia card. I don't know the chipset offhand.

When I boot with the card in place, the network card configuration utility shows eth0 LAN, eth1 wireless, ath0 wireless and wifi0 LAN. Attempting to configure using the utility ultimately fails with the dhcp step on both wireless components.

I will try some more and if I get it to work again (??) will post.

Again, sorry for misleading you. Frustrating.

sci_fi

Psycada
01-01-2007, 09:17 PM
I started playing around with knoppix this weekend on my flash drive. I started with an older version of knoppix from setp, 2005 and had good sucess with it. After about 12 hours, I was able to get my Broadcom 1370 wifi card to work as wlan0 and had no problems with anything else, except saving and changes I made so I didn't have to to them everytime I rebooted.
Somehow, I managed to mess up the install, so I decided to get the newest version. In the version from 12/30/06, my wifi card was already recognized, but as eth1. When I tried to install the new drivers with ndiswrapper, I got no place. Also, when I went to my windows ntfs drive link that is on the desktop, it points to my home directory, and not to my NT drive. When I got to /media/sda1 in konquerer, it shows up blank.

I have three questions:

1. How do I get the default broadcom driver uninstalled so I can reinstall the driver that works and get dev wlan0

2. What can I do to be able to view contents (I will work on writing later) of my ntfs drive?

3. How do I save my configurations on the fly so they are there when I reboot. Getting the wifi to work is a bitch and takes about 10-15 minutes each boot.

Thanks in advance for your help

Psycada
01-01-2007, 09:18 PM
I started playing around with knoppix this weekend on my flash drive. I started with an older version of knoppix from setp, 2005 and had good sucess with it. After about 12 hours, I was able to get my Broadcom 1370 wifi card to work as wlan0 and had no problems with anything else, except saving and changes I made so I didn't have to to them everytime I rebooted.
Somehow, I managed to mess up the install, so I decided to get the newest version. In the version from 12/30/06, my wifi card was already recognized, but as eth1. When I tried to install the new drivers with ndiswrapper, I got no place. Also, when I went to my windows ntfs drive link that is on the desktop, it points to my home directory, and not to my NT drive. When I got to /media/sda1 in konquerer, it shows up blank.

I have three questions:

1. How do I get the default broadcom driver uninstalled so I can reinstall the driver that works and get dev wlan0

2. What can I do to be able to view contents (I will work on writing later) of my ntfs drive?

3. How do I save my configurations on the fly so they are there when I reboot. Getting the wifi to work is a bitch and takes about 10-15 minutes each boot.

Thanks in advance for your help

scottknl
01-02-2007, 08:06 PM
While theres lots of joy in this release, the network drivers seem to be trouble. I have a pci network card with a DEC tulip driver that fails when loaded on a desktop box(worked in 5.0.1). On another laptop computer my hfa384/prism chipset pcmcia wireless card no longer works (worked in 5.0.1). Autodetect failed to find the built in wifi card on another Dell D610 laptop (I think it was found when using 5.0.1, but not too sure). On the bright side I found that a couple of CISCO AIRONET 350 PCMCIA wifi cards from cisco seem to work ok.

The kernel modules for network cards seem to need work in the new kernel.
KS

angor
01-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I have an Acer Aspire 3000 notebook with 512 MB RAM (minus 32 MB shared memory)
and 1 GB swap. When I tried the latest Knoppix yesterday, I found out that memory
usage was roughly 1.2 GB, *constantly* swapping which (of course) resulted in very
poor performance, the box was virtually unuseable.

Yes, I *did* check the md5sum. The only application I started was konsole (and "top"
within that).

Is it just me, or has anybody had a similar experience?

I mean, imagine me giving this disk to an acquaintance with the words: "Try it! It's
also really light on resources..."

(P.S. Should anybody take this up: I'll not be ignoring it, but will have no opportunity
to respond before next monday)

ruymbeke
01-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Hello,
FYI, according to Distrowatch, Knoppix 5.1.1 is out, cf changelog and download mirror list:
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=03956#0
http://spirit.bentel.sk/knoppix/KNOPPIX-CHANGELOG.txt
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
Best Regards,
Gilles

* V5.1.1-2007-01-04 (see also: Release Notes at http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix51-en.html)
- Updated kicker and kdebase (while fixing a nasty bug that made kicker "disappear"
in all but the first desktop)
- Updated ntfs-3g (writing speed improvements)
- sudo helper for kdesu
- xorg updates from Debian/unstable
- iceweasel/icedove (firefox/thunderbird) updates
- kwlan for WLAN w/ WEP/WPA in Knoppix menu
- added vlan configurator
- fixed "2nd reboot fails" bug when installing Knoppix with reiserfs
by downgrading grub (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?17957)
- added french translation to mkbootdev (contributed by Jody Noury)
- [CD] removed KDE docs and java demos
- [CD] re-added spanish language support for KDE
- [CD] installed Java-Plugin for iceweasel (firefox)

jfitie
01-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Hello,
FYI, according to Distrowatch, Knoppix 5.1.1 is out, cf changelog and download mirror list:
Best Regards,
Gilles

will your minirt_51 work with this release or will it need to be updated?
Thanks,
Johan

ruymbeke
01-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Hello,
Best Regards,
Gilles

will your minirt_51 work with this release or will it need to be updated?
Thanks,
Johan
Hi,
To be honest, I did not try tu use the minirt_51 (Knoppix 5.1.0) with the Knoppix 5.1.1 iso file.
It may work (same kernel) but I wouldn't recommend it (different ntfs-3g)
and I already have posted the new minirt_ 511 version cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110240#110240
Cheers,
Gilles

madoka
01-07-2007, 07:31 AM
I grabbed KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso from kernel.org, but my download appeared corrupt (MD5 hash mismatch). At first I thought the problem was in my end, so I re-downloaded it, this time from a different mirror. However, my new download also don't have a matching MD5 hash. It could just be confirmation bias, but my memory's telling me that the two incorrect hashes are the same, which implies that the file hosted on kernel.org is corrupt. As it is one of the master sites, it would explain why the mirror's also hosting the same file.

Could someone humor me and double check if they get the same results I did?

3735df5c816890d4637196493b1ded76 (INCORRECT)
e967af32cc5b9e7a91825877b65555a8 (CORRECT)

Harry Kuhman
01-07-2007, 07:53 AM
I don't have the new DVD yet so I can't say for sure what the md5 sum is. But I've seen a repeatable problem with the mirrors that can corrupt iso files, and corrupt them the same way if it hits again (and it hit me about 50% of the time before BitTorrent downloads were available). So two bad downloads in a row with matchig md5 sums would not shock me.

ckamin
01-10-2007, 02:32 AM
e967af32cc5b9e7a91825877b65555a8 is the correct MD5 result for the 5.1.1 EN DVD ISO. 4,222,854.00 Kb in size, according to MD5Summer.

The mirrors are sometimes corrupt and I believe it may be in the way that the files are distributed. If you download a file before they have finished uploading them, it may be truncated.

I would strongly recommend the use of Bittorrent or equivalent torrent program for download. They are usually self correcting and verify the file as it is downloaded. It can usually repair a corrupt file if you save the downloading file to the same folder as the corrupt file. It can compare and repair the file, while downloading the parts it needs for completion. No need to delete what you already have if it's close.

Good Luck!

kej
01-10-2007, 02:35 AM
I used the following:

wget ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso

and it worked great, first time, correct md5sum, etc.

Jaromba
01-13-2007, 03:42 PM
I grabbed KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso from kernel.org, but my download appeared corrupt (MD5 hash mismatch). At first I thought the problem was in my end, so I re-downloaded it, this time from a different mirror. However, my new download also don't have a matching MD5 hash. It could just be confirmation bias, but my memory's telling me that the two incorrect hashes are the same, which implies that the file hosted on kernel.org is corrupt. As it is one of the master sites, it would explain why the mirror's also hosting the same file.

Could someone humor me and double check if they get the same results I did?

3735df5c816890d4637196493b1ded76 (INCORRECT)
e967af32cc5b9e7a91825877b65555a8 (CORRECT)

I got exactly the same results as you.
I downloaded from:
ftp://knoppix.cs.wisc.edu
and the filesize was 4,324,202,496 bytes.

Since it would take a long time to re-download, I suppose it might be a good idea to burn the DVD and then boot it with the option for checking the integrity of the files. Have you (or anyone else) tried that yet?

Harry Kuhman
01-13-2007, 06:07 PM
[quote=madoka]I got exactly the same results as you.
Since it would take a long time to re-download, I suppose it might be a good idea to burn the DVD.....

No, it would not be a good idea (I'll restrain myself from saying what kind of idea it would be). Two people, ckamin and kej, already confirmed the md5 checksum was correct. kej even used a mirror. If you go back and look at my post you'll see that I stated mirrors do indeed sometimes work, but I've seem a repeatable corruption issue with them, which completely explains matching bad md5 checksums. If you want to waste a DVD that's OK with me but advising others to do so when the md5 check fails is wrong.

If you want to avoid this problem in the future and don't mind the side effect of faster downloads, open your mind to the idea of trying something new to you and learn how to set up and run BitTorrent properly.

Jaromba
01-13-2007, 08:49 PM
No, it would not be a good idea (I'll restrain myself from saying what kind of idea it would be). Two people, ckamin and kej, already confirmed the md5 checksum was correct. kej even used a mirror. If you go back and look at my post you'll see that I stated mirrors do indeed sometimes work, but I've seem a repeatable corruption issue with them, which completely explains matching bad md5 checksums. If you want to waste a DVD that's OK with me but advising others to do so when the md5 check fails is wrong.

If you want to avoid this problem in the future and don't mind the side effect of faster downloads, open your mind to the idea of trying something new to you and learn how to set up and run BitTorrent properly.

Thanks for your reply, Harry.
I certainly wouldn't dream of advising anyone to do anything!
I tried burning the iso and booted knoppix from it, using the boot code "knoppix testdvd".
This resulted in a message saying that one of the 78 files didn't match its MD5.
The file was KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ... or is that a directory?
There was then another message saying, "Everything seems to be OK"
and Knoppix booted.
(The two messages seem to be somewhat inconsistent!)
I have used BitTorrent a lot, with excellent results - but when I tried using it to get Knoppix the speed was amazingly low.
Less than 1 KB/s. Wonder why? Normally I can get a hundred times that.
There were plenty of seeds, too.
Any ideas or advice?

ruymbeke
01-13-2007, 09:14 PM
...I tried burning the iso and booted knoppix from it, using the boot code "knoppix testdvd".
This resulted in a message saying that one of the 78 files didn't match its MD5.
The file was KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ...
Hi,
First of all, the following md5 is correct:

e967af32cc5b9e7a91825877b65555a8 *KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso

Then the fact that the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX cloop "big" file did not match it's md5
means that you got data corruption during the download or from the server.
I agree with Harry that the easiest and safest way to fix it (without redownloading
the whole iso file with the risk to get data corruption again) is to use bittorrent.

Bittorent uses built-in md5 (or equivalent) for each one of the high number of
segments which when put together will make your final download file(s).
So, if one or more segment(s) is/are wrong, Bittorrent will not only tell you
how many of them are wrong (% complete), but will also redownload
the wrong one(s) to fix your download file(s), in your case the iso file.

I will encourage you to check your Bittorrent setup, and eventually change
your firewall settings to get a faster transfert rate (google for bittorrent setup).
But even a slow Bittorrent will be faster than redownloading corrupted iso from ftp servers.
My two cents,
Gilles

Edit: put back the dropped "e" in the md5

Harry Kuhman
01-13-2007, 09:26 PM
...This resulted in a message saying that one of the 78 files didn't match its MD5.
...There was then another message saying, "Everything seems to be OK"
and Knoppix booted.
(The two messages seem to be somewhat inconsistent!)
I'll agree with inconsistent. If the files don't match then they must be bad. Without knowing what files are bad it's not out of the question that the disc might boot, but you'll likely see problems over time with it. Unfortunately, I cause myself enough problems with Linux, I don't want to be second guessing if every problem or error I encounter is due to a bad md5 sum or something I did. So I couldn't personally live with this disc even if it does boot.

I have used BitTorrent a lot, with excellent results - but when I tried using it to get Knoppix the speed was amazingly low.
Less than 1 KB/s. Wonder why? Normally I can get a hundred times that.
There were plenty of seeds, too.
Any ideas or advice?
No, I don't know what the problem is/was. Sounds like you have used BT in the past and so know how to properly configure routers and firewalls, although that would be the first place that I would look. I'm assuming that you are giving it long enough to get started, BT will seem to crawl at first but will pick up speed nicely. If you have the windows firewall and/or any Norton stuff installed, disable them and try again, make sure any other firewall (I use Keiro or TPF) is letting through the inbound port and that your router is forwarding inbound packets to the correct local ip address. Check to see if you show both local and remote connections in the peer list (you should). If all else can be ruled out, see if you can determine if your ISP is mucking with you, perhaps blocking the common BT inbound port. Of course, you can't do much short of changing to a better service if they are doing fancy protocol analysis and blocking all BT traffic, but if they are just blocking the common port then you can easily configure BT to use some other port that they are are not blocking.

I didn't rush to download 5.1.1 DVD. Got the CD when the update came out, am downloading the DVD right now. BT shows that it will take about 12 hours (I'm getting about 100kB/s). May finish faster, as it tends to pick up speed, not slow down. That's not too bad for me, as in theory the fastest I could ever get an ISO the size of the DVD with my DSL connection would be about 8 hours, and 12 is still much faster than it used to take for some of the old ureliable mirror downloads for the CD! And I have a friend who has a fast University pipe who managed to get the 4.02 DVD ISO in 20 minutes from BT, and that was behind a University firewall!

I would urge you to look into what your BT problem is and post back as you learn things.

Harry Kuhman
01-14-2007, 06:48 AM
For what little it's worth, I'll confirm the correct EN DVD 4.1.1 md5 that everyone else is reporting:

e967af32cc5b9e7a91825877b65555a8 *KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso

The file size is exactly 4,324,202,496 bytes for the iso file.

(Gilles dropped the leading e in his post, but anyone following the thread can see which md5 he got). I got this by BT in under 11 hours on a 1.5 meg dsl connection, doing plenty of other things on the connection and not seeing any impact. Of course, the bt download was good the first time. Ideally I might have got the 4.01 gig. download in 2 to 3 hours less given my bandwidth, but I'm quite pleased with this.

Perhaps those reporting repeated bad downloads from the mrrors would consider that the advice in the downloading faq to use BT might have some merit. and, of course, don't download to a FAT partition that will not hold a file this large, and use a recent BT client (versions before somewhere around 4.0 had a 4 gig limit).

I can also report that Gilles' vmx boots the iso nicely. OK, I got a curious message that the process for multi-media died unexpectedly, but overall things are looking good.

Jaromba
01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for your replies. In one sense the problem is now over - because I found a fast ftp server and downloaded overnight and got the correct MD5.
But I'm curious about BitTorrent's not working. It works wonderfully well for everything except Knoppix.

The client I use is BitComet 0.70 and when I was trying to get the Knoppix DVD I did notice that no-one else was using this client.
They were mainly using Azureus or the official BitTorrent client.
Could that be relevant?
I don't suppose it is - but I'm grasping at straws in seeking understanding.

I accept what has been said regarding the advantages of BitTorrent - and would like to use it.
It doesn't seem likely that my set-up is to blame - in that it has worked perfectly both before and after my failure to get Knoppix.

Unless the Knoppix tracker makes different demands?
BitComet found lots of seeds and peers and connected to many of them and yet, even after fifteen minutes, was transferring data at a mere few bytes per second. It would have taken literally years at that rate!

I am now curious. What could affect Knoppix but not other transfers?

Harry Kuhman
01-14-2007, 09:26 PM
A number of alternative BT clients have been said to contain spyware, trojans or other malware. The same is true for BitTorrent itself if you download "it" from sites other than Cohen's own site. A quick Google search shows that BitComet is one of these questioned clients. Of course, there are those who claim that it is not infested, but that is also what one would expect those who infested it (if they did) to say.

I don't know or care if BitComet is infested or not. I see no reason to fool with it over BitTorrent.

It seems to me much more likely that your client may have a prolem with downloads over the 4 gig size and it is manifesting itself this way. That is, of course, just a theory, based on what you posted about it working in other cases.

I don't know why you would ask all of this. Is there some reason why you would not try BitTorrent and actually know if it is working on you network and through your ISP, rather than just speculate on what might or might not be wrong?

Ancient Drive
01-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I got mine from CA in 20 minutes :shock:

sary
03-22-2011, 08:24 PM
hello A number of alternative BT clients have been said to contain spyware, trojans or other malware. The same is true for BitTorrent itself if you download "it" from sites other than Cohen's own site. A quick Google search shows that BitComet is one of these questioned clients. Of course, there are those who claim that it is not infested, but that is also what one would expect those who infested it (if they did) to say.