PDA

View Full Version : Observations About 5.10

mr-roboto
01-01-2007, 10:41 PM
I've been playing w/ 5.10 continuously on two desktops for a day and have some things working well w/ the stock distro CD. Congrats ! I have one real criticism: NO log files. Nothing gets logged to /var/log/messages, not even DHCP daemon status msgs, which really shud be there. Moreover, there's no log of what happens on screen at boot time, that is, the colored text coming from the init script. Something is going wrong when KNOPPIX is restoring from my saved config. Most of the KDE settings are being preserved, but most of the files I've been putting into /home/knoppix for configuring my WiFi card have to be copied over from my hdrive again and again. While typing this, I remembered the virtual display hot-keys, so I could actually go back to initial display and look at the init msgs. Still, logging everything to text files is one of those great features that makes Linux better than Windows.

I also noticed that for all of the stuf in this distro, there's no DHCPCD. While testing, I had to switch to a diff router. Suddenly, Knoppix wouldn't access the 'Net. Turns out /etc/resolv.conf needed to be updated, but no DHCPCD. By the time I figured out what was going on, I'd already rebooted.

All of this is minor stuff, but DHCPCD really should be part of the stock system. Anyway, good luck and keep up the good work. I'm going back to my work....

patelbhavesh
01-02-2007, 01:56 AM
For me the experience has not been very good as samba keeps on crashing.It was working perfectly fine with 5.0.1 and previous versions.
Samba is very critical for me and hence I have chosen to stick with 5.1.0 :cry:

mr-roboto
01-02-2007, 09:28 PM
For me the experience has not been very good as samba keeps on crashing.It was working perfectly fine with 5.0.1 and previous versions.

I'm sorry to hear that. That's bizarre, as I've (manually) setup several Samba servers and can't imagine what could cause instability.

marhleet
01-03-2007, 07:55 AM
do the get-apt update
get the later samba 3.0.23d

it configs at /etc/samba
and controls from /etc/init.d/samba

and it worked with my windows straight away shoing in the network browser

patelbhavesh
01-27-2007, 07:17 PM

Ok figured out what the problem was by searching.
here is the link which describes the solution for the crash of samba
http://lists.zerezo.com/samba/msg21137.html
now there are only 2 problems remaining
1> that on my LCD i get very very large fonts and the screen/menus are unusable.
2> if you run the screen command it gives an error "Directory '/var/run/screen' must have mode 777."
The 2> error started happenng from version 5.x of knoppix.It was working fine in all previous versions.