PDA

View Full Version : Trying to move from Knppix 4.0 to 5.0

GottaBuild
01-02-2007, 12:24 AM
I've been doing OK with Knoppix 4.0 live CD and live DVD for 6 months now. I am now trying to get Knoppix 5.0 live dvd to work on my PC but nothing much works: (I have a diskless Pentium with a flash memory stick).

1) All cheat codes are ignored. Therefore my configuration file isn't found.
2) Control settings are fixed and can't be changed. Therefore I am stuck at a screen resolution of 640x480 with a 20" monitor.
3) K menu pages auto paint with no margin so open when I don't want them and they can't be closed without selecting an unwanted link.

Do I have a defective DVD? Does 5.1 solve any of these problems? 5.0 appears to be a massive step backwards from 4.0, so please tell me I am missing some little obvious thing I must do to make it all cooperate! Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
01-02-2007, 12:49 AM
5.0.1 and even 5.1.0 do seem to be a hugh step backweards in some ways, particularly support (or lack of it) for wireless networking. They also introduced some new interfaces that likely woukld keep old configuration files from working right, but Idon't know of any reason that you are having all of the problems that you report. You're the best judge if it's a bad disc, but it doesn't really sound like it is to me. As long as you burned it at slow speed and it passed the verification test when burning it's likely good. If you want to stay with 5.x and don't care about wireless networking, I would think it would be reasonable to try 5.1.0. By the way, I and others are not seeing the 640x480 problem that you have, it might be hardware specific but if 4.02 did a higher resolution I don't know why you shouldn't expect that from 5.x.

GottaBuild
01-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Yes, Knoppix 4.0 puts me at at 1024 x 768 resoultion and gave me a choice of resolutions in the control settings. Knoppix 5.0 gives only the 640 x 480 choice. Is there any way to force a .tbz configuration file to be adopted after the startup procedure is complete? I have a lot of time invested in the favorite places, but I suppose I can export and the re-import these...