PDA

View Full Version : USB boot problem

Jettaman
01-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Hi, I tried to make my usb 1gb clip bootable by using this tutorial and Knoppix 5.01
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93758#93758

After loading the bios and while booting from usb i only get a black screen with an white cursor and nothing else happens.

Could anyone please help me?

Krellan2
01-03-2007, 08:06 AM
I have an online tutorial for making bootable 1GB USB keys that seem to work well for Knoppix 5.0.1:

http://knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key

Might try this and see if you have any better luck.

I have not updated these instructions for Knoppix 5.1.0, though.

Jettaman
01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Thank you! This looks very nice but I always get an error message when running syslinux

syslinux -s /dev/sda1
syslinux: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem

Don't know what to do...

Krellan2
01-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Thank you! This looks very nice but I always get an error message when running syslinux

syslinux -s /dev/sda1
syslinux: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem

Don't know what to do...

A lot of people are having that problem recently.

BTW, did you include the -4 flag in your mkdiskimage command? Then, you would need to use /dev/sda4 to go along with it, not /dev/sda1.

I'm guessing your USB key is 2GB or larger?

I'm trying to sort out what's causing the problem with large USB keys. Having no luck, as of yet.

Have you tried the new mkbootdev script in the new Knoppix 5.1.0?

Josh

Jettaman
01-05-2007, 01:10 PM
My USB key is 1GB and I included the -4 flag. I tried the syslinux command with sda1 and sda4 but when trying with sda4 I get an error message like "unknown drive" or something. Later I will try out mkbootdev... perhabs this will work.

Thank you!

Jettaman
01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
I tried out the mkbootdev script... it looks nice and after a while I got an message saying my USB was made bootable but when I try to boot from it I only see "Boot error" on the screen...