PDA

View Full Version : saveconfig not helping very much

doglover
01-02-2007, 01:54 AM
Hello. I am new to this linux stuff but I have successfully gotten my Toshiba 2775 working with Knoppix and my wireless card works, thanks to previous posters who had similar problems.

Had to use an older b card, my g card wouldn't even light up. Glad I kept it!

In order to get my laptop going ( I also run off an iso on my harddrive), I have to type in several things at the boot prompt and also have to manually configure the wireless card each time. I was hoping that saving the config to a USB drive would eliminate all that typing, but it didn't help at all. It didn't remember:

1) the fb1024x768
2) the bootfrom
3) the network config including the WEP key
4) the 'pump' command to connect to the network

Anyhow, I will look around to see if other people have gotten around these issues. Of course, if people know that this isn't possible, please let me know and save me some searching.

Happy New Year to you,
IMF

dwieberd
01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm pretty new as well, but I have successfully remastered to eliminate the need to type in cheat codes every time I boot.

You're right that saveconfig will not save the cheat codes, you have to remaster. But it's not as bad as it sounds. Just follow the procedure under Documentation>Remastering Knoppix on this site. You can skip most of the customizing instructions and only change the file that executes the cheat codes. I can't remember the name of the file but it's not hard to find. Just add the cheat codes you want to use to the "default" section. I believe they can be enetered just as you would type them at the boot prompt.

Copying the system files and the compression steps take awhile, but otherwise it's fairly painless. Once you have the ISO file you can burn the CD using KDE. But if, like me, you only have one CD drive you have to first reboot with the "tohd" cheatcode; otherwise the CD drive will not be released for you to put in the blank CD.

If there's a script you want to run as the last part of the bootup process, just put it in home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart. I believe the contents of this directory WILL be saved by saveconfig.