PDA

View Full Version : ERROR MESSAGES & SYSTEM HALTS

nethardwareguru
01-02-2007, 03:20 AM
When I try to boot from 5.1 Live CD on my desktop system, I get the following error messages:
"ERROR: Cannot unite read-only media and initial ramdisk. Shutdown: HDB. Shutdown: HDA. System halted." Then it says:
"Read only CD system sucessfully merged with read-write /ramdisk. LINUXRC: cannot create /var/run/utmp: directory nonexistent filesystem could mount root; tried: reiserfs ext3 ext2 msdos vfat iso9660 fuseblk rnel panic - not syncing; vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (1, 3)"

I haven't got a clue what that means...I hope it makes sense to somebody here.

I've tried several of the cheatcodes without luck. I know the Live CD is good 'cause it works perfectly on a Toshiba notebook.

I'm using a P3 450 with an Intel SE440BX-2 MB & 256MB memory. Burner is an HP CD Writer + 8200. As I said, there isn't a problem booting the CD on the notebook just the desktop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Harry Kuhman
01-02-2007, 03:34 AM
I can't say if this is your problem, but I've seen reports of this happening on high speed burns. Also, if you downloaded from a mirror rather than BitTorrent, did you confirm the md5 sum before burning?

nethardwareguru
01-02-2007, 06:13 AM
It was a low speed burn and the MD5 sums matched. The CD works just fine on the other computer.