PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix hdd install on Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro problem

dr_Fell
01-03-2007, 10:23 PM
For 2 days I am trying to help my friend to install knoppix on hdd. It is very important to her to have working computer now. I am guiding her by phone (she lives far away). During the installation process the window that says that installation requirements aren't fullfilled yet (despite of the fact that I have formatted drive before and created filesystems (mkswap, mkfs)). Next window gives 2 options - format hdd or quit. After making partitions again, this time with qtparted (ran via knoppix-installer). When she chooses to format disk, gui format program is run (probably qtparted ?). Disk seems to be partitioned, but even after removing all partitions and creating them again and saving partition table, installer says again that... installation requirements aren't fullfilled yet and forces to run qtparted again. disk is recognised as /dev/sda and computer is Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro 2055.

I will be very grateful for any advices.

Harry Kuhman
01-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Given that a Knoppix install is known to be problem prone, why do this to someone else's computer, and remotely at that, when you're not even there to see all of the problems? Particularly when there's absolutely nothing to be gained over simply installing Debian Etch and installing the applications that she or you want?

It's one thing to stubornly insist on installing Knoppix on your own system in the face of all the warnings. It's quite another to do this to someone else.

dr_Fell
01-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Given that a Knoppix install is known to be problem prone, why do this to someone else's computer, and remotely at that, when you're not even there to see all of the problems?

Becouse knopix installation usually is easy enough to guide even newbie girl through the process. I haven't installed debian for ages, I have no experience in doing that. Last time I am using only gentoo and installing genyoo this way would be suicide.

It's one thing to stubornly insist on installing Knoppix on your own system in the face of all the warnings. It's quite another to do this to someone else.

You seem to be the kind of person who likes to evaluate without even knowing situation well. Knoppix supposed to be on her laptop for 2 months until she come when I live and I can install something else. Becouse Knoppix was USUALLY very simple to install for me, I thought it would be good choice for remote install since she doesn't know linux at all.

Harry Kuhman
01-04-2007, 07:16 PM
The situation is exactly as you say it is, you have been trying to talk her through the install for at least 2 days and it's still fighting you. I thought I knew that pretty clearly. And I know from watching this forum that many many people have strange problems that shouldn't happen when they try to "install" Knoppix, it's not like Knoppix installs are almost always clean and this is just a rare case. And now I know that you're installing Knoppix without even trying a current install of Debian, something I strongly expected.

I also know that no one who thinks installing Knoppix is a good idea seems to be rushing to give you support. That seems all too common once people run into problems trying to force Knoppix onto a hard disk. And I know that this is the second largest forum on this site, behind only the "General Forum", which also says something about Knoppix install problems (as does reading the posts in the forum).

I guess where I went wrong was taking literrally that your friend needed her computer working and suggesting something that would get her there. Clearly I didn't understand that this was some sort of religious or moral thing and that it was more important to get Knoppix installed than actually get the system working. By the way, if you friend needs her computer working and it's only for a couple of months and she has a Knoppix disc, why not just boot the disc and run Knoppix from that? She does have a hard disk, presumably Linux formatted, that she could save work to.