PDA

View Full Version : Install linux from "LIVE" cdrom?

drglass67
05-22-2003, 03:22 AM
Is it possible, and if so, how to install linux from a "Live" cdrom?

I have live version of linux that came with a magazine, I would like to install it to my hard drive. It would be easier that trying to download an ISO image via dialup, for the install disk. It would be easier to make and save changes to the default "Live" settings. I have to work blind after the desktop opens to change the screen settings, setup the dialup to my ISP, etc. before I can do anything.

Thanks

mmaki
05-22-2003, 04:10 AM
I believe this is what you are looking for:
http://www.crouse.ws/knoppix.html

Good Luck,

Mike

drglass67
05-22-2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the link, and it was very fast. I posted this question before going to work, and when I checked back after work, your reply was waiting for me. Thanks again.

Dave

drglass67
05-23-2003, 12:38 AM
I did try what the web site suggested, but Knoppix came back with script not found.
Are there any other suggestions. I have Knoppix v3.1 from PC Utilities magazine.

Thanks
:(

mmaki
05-23-2003, 04:00 AM
Sorry that did not work. Make sure you are at a root console. Try clicking the KDE button in the lower left (similar to Windows Start button), then select the KNOPPIX menu, then select Root Console. "knx-hdinstall" is case sensitive as are all linux commands as far as I know.

Stephen
05-23-2003, 04:36 AM
Try sudo knx-hdinstall.