PDA

View Full Version : Knx 5.1.0 AIGLX doesn't work on Nvidia card

rivendels
01-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi
I'm running knoppix 5.1.0 on Nvidia Geforce FX5200 CPU sempron 2500 with a cheatcode desktop=beryl
After launching X I get message:

No AIGLX extension for your graphics card. No 3D Desktop

I wonder is it because there is no original nvidia driver for this card with live-cd, or the card really doesn't have AIGLX.
i also tested Fx 5500 - the same result.

kuliand
01-06-2007, 07:17 PM
i've got the exact same problem as the person above. my machine spec is 2.4ghz p4, 512 ram and im not sure what my graphics card is but it'a an nvidia and it's good enough for windows vista and half life 2 so it should be good enough for beryl.

P.S. does anyone know how i find out what my graphics card is in linux?

Phantasm
01-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi
I'm running knoppix 5.1.0 on Nvidia Geforce FX5200 CPU sempron 2500 with a cheatcode desktop=beryl
After launching X I get message:

No AIGLX extension for your graphics card. No 3D Desktop

I wonder is it because there is no original nvidia driver for this card with live-cd, or the card really doesn't have AIGLX.
i also tested Fx 5500 - the same result.

Hi, neither on my ATI Radeon™ Xpress 200 (it's a laptop) with a AMD Turion64 1.64 GHZ CPU with 1 GB Ram

kuliand
01-07-2007, 03:15 PM
ok im gona try ubuntu and see if i can get beryl working on that to see if it is just my hardware or an issue with knoppix. this might take me a while as ubuntu doesn't come with beryl.

rivendels
01-07-2007, 03:36 PM
your hardware should be fine. beryl works with geforce 4. it may not work on live cd as Nvidia doesn't allow to use their original drivers in distros
like it was with korrora. I wonder if it will work after HDinstall, and installing drivers from Nvidia site. unfortunately I don't have time now to reinstall knoppix. :?

lovetide
01-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I use Knoppix-5.1.1-CD version.

My home pc have a Geforce 6600LE video card installed, can't bring beryl up with the same error too...
My office pc have an Intel 82845G intergrated video card, can successfully bring beryl desktop up.

http://linux.chinaunix.net/bbs/attachments/month_0701/snapshot10_nB7t5V7xsRC5.jpg

rivendels
01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
I've installed knx 5.1.1. And beryl is finally working. I'm running original Nvidia 1.0-9746 drivers, kernel is 2.6.19-2. It seems that it also dependa on properly configured xorg.conf I'm sending a piece of it with the most important options.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
# compiz, beryl 3D-Support with DRI & Composite
Option "AIGLX" "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"

EndSection

Section "Files"
# Do not change
EndSection

Section "Module"
# Comments: see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=346408
Load "dbe" # Double Buffering Extension, very important.
Load "dri" # This shouldn't be available choice if user has selected driver vga, vesa or nv.
Load "glx" # GLX Extension.
Load "freetype" # Freetype fonts.
Load "type1" # Type 1 fonts
Load "record" # Developer extension, usually not needed
# Load "extmod" # This is okay, but if you look into "man xorg.conf" you'll find option NOT to include DGA extension with extmod, and for a good reason.. DGA causes instability as it access videoram without consulting X about it.
SubSection "extmod"
Option "omit xfree86-dga"
EndSubSection
# Load "speedo"
# Load "ddc"
# Load "GLcore"
# Load "bitmap"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
# beryl and compiz need this, but it can cause bad (end even softreset-resistant)
# effects in some graphics cards, especially nv.
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Do not change
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Do not change
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Do not change
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Do not change
EndSection

# Auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config

Section "Monitor"
# Do not change

EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
# sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
#Option "sw_cursor"
#Option "hw_cursor"
#Option "NoAccel"
#Option "ShowCache"
#Option "ShadowFB"
#Option "UseFBDev"
#Option "Rotate"
Identifier "Card0"
# auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxorgconfig
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "All"
BoardName "All"
# BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
#
# compiz, beryl 3D-Support with DRI & Composite
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"

# This two lines are (presumably) needed to prevent fonts from being scrambled
Option "XaaNoScanlineImageWriteRect" "true"
Option "XaaNoScanlineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultColorDepth 24
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "true"
SubSection "Display"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 32
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

My office pc have an Intel 82845G intergrated video card, can successfully bring beryl desktop up.

I've read somewhere (It might be on Korrora site) that nvidia and ati don't allow to use their original drivers in linux distros, So on Live-Cd beryl may work only with intel cards

MrGreen
01-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I am guessing as its not that clear that you have to install 5.1.X to be able to get AIGLX working ... of course Nvidia drivers are not supplied [due too well whatever!] ...

Could live cd be reworked [by user!] to include nvidia drivers or is that against the rules too .....?

Harry Kuhman
01-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Could live cd be reworked [by user!] to include nvidia drivers or is that against the rules too .....?
I believe it may be against Nvidia's rules. Which is to say, I think the license agreement on restribution of the 3d drivers is more repressive than some members of the Knoppix team will accept, so it's not showing up in Knoppix, The 3d drivers were included in the Games Knoppix DVD and I never heard of any reprocusions from that, but Games Knoppix is not used to build a lot of other distrobutions the way Knoppix is. (And it seems to have vanished fron the Knoppix torrent.)

So the user is certainly free to rework the live cd to include the drivers. But I don't think the development team will be including them in Knoppix any time soon.

Of course, I could just have bad information here and I certainly don't speak for Klaus, you may wish to ask him or monitor the developer information a bit and see what has been said on this, but it is the understang I have from previous discussions

MrGreen
01-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Thats fine I know other live/distros had problems ... thing is why supply AIGLX on livecd at all? is it for hd-install only?

Sorry I will search forums for answers

thanks again for your reply

MrG

Harry Kuhman
01-31-2007, 10:55 AM
...... thing is why supply AIGLX on livecd at all? is it for hd-install only?
That's a very good question and I don't have an answer. Particularly since I assume one could just install it after the sacralidge of installing Knoppix if they wanted.

If you do find an answer please let us know.

nnigam
02-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I also get the same message on my a21p laptop. However it is inconsistent. I have noticed that when I boot drom the cd/dvd without my persistent disk image, I generally get beryl to work. When I boot up with my persistent disk image, beryl rarely works. Any thing that I can delete from my persistent home directory to make beryl work again?

My boot parameters are

knoppix boot from /dev/hda5/k.iso desktop=beryl

Thanks
Neeraj

nnigam
02-13-2007, 04:14 AM
I have noticed that if I boot from the iso file with the bootfrom parameter, then beryl does not work, and I get this error message. If I boot from the cd, then there is no problem. beryl comes up fine. Could this in some way be related to the problem?

Neeraj