PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Issues

larz
11-18-2002, 05:34 PM
Hello All:

Started trying out Knoppix and so far I like what I see..

I do have one issue though, in trying to configure my Network card (a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller 3C905C-TX Compatible)

The system does recognize it and configures it properly, IFCONFIG shows that it's up and running and shows all the correct info (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, etc.) , but when trying to access the net, it cannot resolve any DNS names.

Any thoughts...

SmokinGunz
11-18-2002, 08:06 PM
can you ping your gateway?
do your dns servers show up in your /etc/resolv.conf?

larz
11-18-2002, 09:30 PM
Hi....

Yes to both questions.

fourex
12-19-2002, 09:12 PM
So I take it that it should be possible to surf with an ethernet connection to my lan? How would I configure my ethernet card with the ip and dns settings? It's been a while since I have played around with Linux and I have gotten forgetful as to where I would enter this information.

When I attempted to change it asked for a password and I read that the password functions for root had been disabled. Is there way around this problem?

Finally, is it possible to save files to locations such as the floppy or your hard disk drive? I attempted to save to the HDD, and got a message saying it was locked.

Thanks for any help.

kael
09-20-2004, 05:42 PM
When I attempted to change it asked for a password and I read that the password functions for root had been disabled. Is there way around this problem?

Yes. To execute a command with root priveleges, type sudo [command].

Finally, is it possible to save files to locations such as the floppy or your hard disk drive? I attempted to save to the HDD, and got a message saying it was locked.

Yes, you may write to your hd, as long as it formatted as anything other than NTFS (technically you could still write to it, but it is not recommended). Knoppix mounts disks as read-only by default, but this can be changed. As floppies go, yes, it can also be done, provided you mount them first (mount /dev/fd0 ... It should then be mounted on /floppy). Make sure to unmount the floppy before removing it.

kael
09-21-2004, 04:55 AM
How would I configure my ethernet card with the ip and dns settings?

A useful script is conveniently included for this. Try 'sudo netcardconfig'.