PDA

View Full Version : motherboard recommendation

Bamya
01-07-2007, 07:21 AM
hello, i have been having lots fun with knoppix lately. i just built a knoppixbox radio appliance for a friend, he loves it and he is not a 'puter savvy person. i was so impressed that i dug out an old junker gateway E-1400 from my junker pile and it works famously.

now i want to build a knoppixbox. i have an ide multiflash reader which can be set as master or slave. flash reader will go to ide1 and plexwriter to ide2. in a pinch i can save files to a flash. or, i can load the entire OS onto a 1GB flash and use the plexwriter to make a cd, say an upgraded version.

i like to know about knoppix friendly micro-ATX all in one mobos. i like asus, but would like to see what people suggest. aopen has a mobo with a vacuum tube audio out section. has anyone tried it with that though i think that is not a micro-ATX.....just curious?

also, any suggestions for ide controller cards.

thnx everyone, jacques

I'AM REALLY GETTING SICK OF WINDOWS and AM HERE FOR THE CURE.
:shock:

OErjan
01-07-2007, 12:08 PM
as for card, most would work ok, one or two fetures may be nonworking but mainly they should run ok. i have not tried any card in near 1 year so I can't say for sure exactly what card works 100%.

hmm, tube amp for audio, You are giving e ideas, I have tubes for my radios and other vintage stuff... I could make one in a hour or so, just a few 6K7 tubes,perhaps a 6V6 and few capacitors and resistors... hard part would be the powersupply and impedancematching to source and load.

Bamya
01-07-2007, 02:19 PM
hi, yup AOpen makes(made?) model AX4B-533 vacuum tube mobo. it has just one tube as the audio output driver. i never tried it but am wonder if anyone has. press release:

http://club.aopen.com.tw/News/News_showAnswer_New.asp?RecNo=713&Language=English

i like quality sound. i have a of e-mu aps sound cards and take those out for knoppix test spin.

having fun,
jacques

OErjan
01-07-2007, 04:55 PM
making such a output would be easy, say a 6111 submini tube and few capacitors, perhaps a voltagemultiplier to go from 12v-->100v, nothing fancy by any means.
would give just under 1W of power. if we go to a 6DJ8 we have 2.2W, but also need 300VB+ and few other obstacles, like 4x size...