PDA

View Full Version : Cant mount drives in KDE after HDD Install/ Boot Problem

ILoveKagome
01-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I have two problems i need to talk about

Problem 1

Everytime i mount a drive in KDE (not the command line) it tells me i need a HAL. What the heck is a HAL and whare can i get this so called HAL so i can mount drives in KDE

command line mounting gets annoting

it doesnt do this in the Live-CD

also it sometimes tells me its the wrong fs when i mount my flash drive wich i didnt have this problem when i was in the LiveCD mode unless i mount it like this

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

Problem 2

When i install Knoppix grub boots Knoppix but when i reboot it refuses to boot and it has a little delay in grub. after i do some grub commands in the command line Knoppix boots. but why does Knoppix refuse to boot when i reboot using the menu.

onemyndseye
01-07-2007, 11:58 PM
HAL stands for "Hardware Abstration Layer"

this is used in conjunction with dbus to provide system level information about the hardware installed in the computer.

You probably do infact have HAL running.... type this: "ps as" (no quotes) as root.. while KDE is running. Look for something about dbus.. and hald.

If its not present then upgrading the hald and dbus packages or reinstalling these package from scratch may fix your problem. If this is the case probably your best coarse of action would be to do the following:

As root:

apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

then that finishes... and you may get some dependancy errors that youll have to manually resolve.......... Move on to:

As root:

apt-get dist-upgrade

Probably packages like KDE and afew other may be removed in this process so PAY ATTENTION. Again, when it completes and you have resolved any dependancy errors.... you may reinstall any packages that where removed that you wish to keep....

I may get flamed for this... but apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade have fixed more problenms for me than they've caused... the catch is that you cant be scared to have apt-get error on you... When it errors out - just examine carfully whats going on and use the wonderful resource what is the internet :) to help you fix it...

Usually it just means having to temporially remove a package to fix depdancy errors... and the package can always be reinstalled later or ommited because it was replaced in function by something else.

Hope this helps,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye