PDA

View Full Version : hdd install

Ninja_billy
01-08-2007, 01:03 AM
how do i install knoppix on a single hdd with windows 2000 already on it, without destroying the windows OS

drb
01-08-2007, 11:37 AM
There are lots of posts on this forum suggesting Knoppix isn't ideal for hdd installation.

Try sidux which will get you through a debian install. There's lots of community help there if you have any problems (forum and #irc).

Either way, you will need to repartition your single harddrive. I have partitions for windows, files (to swap between windows and linux), a swap partition, also separate /root and /home partitions. I have 6GB for /root, 7GB for /home and 0.5GB for swap.

If you only have a single partition, you may be able to split it with Windows installed but there is a BIG RISK that Windows will be damaged and you will have to reinstall it. I have managed it before by stopping the page file and defragmenting the drive so the split is past the last point where any files reside. I was successful, but others haven't been!

marhleet
01-09-2007, 08:20 AM
get partition magic
resize your partion

make two new partitions for swap and linux
install

Harry Kuhman
01-09-2007, 08:34 AM
get partition magic
resize your partion
Or, since Partition Magic isn't free and drives are relatively inexpensive (and I'm sure you're not advocation stealing Partition Magic even though you used the term get rather than buy), one might do better to just buy another drive. Also worth noting is that while PM resizing is usually safe, they advise you to have a full backup before you resize just in case. If you can make the full backup then you don't really need Partition Magic, and if you can't then it's pretty risky to go this route.

marhleet
01-09-2007, 11:02 AM
well, everything you said and tongue in cheek

I bought an 80gb for $65 on the weekend
way too much room for a linux partition
but he said, on the one drive

get implies buy :cry: :o