PDA

View Full Version : Help me connect to the internet!!!!

Joey6
01-09-2007, 03:00 AM
Well, I got the OS to recognize the WiFi card and actually communicate with the wireless router (Linksys BEFW11S4); however, I still cannot connect to the internet. I get a message saying that server cannot be found - that is, when I go to the browser and then to google (for example). It also states to check the settings for the firewall or proxy to allow Iceweasel permissions and enable it. The problem is that I do not know where to look to change these settings, but I have a feeling that it has to do with the way that Knopixx names things. I am familiar with Windows XP nomenclature but not with Linux nomenclature.

1. Where do I change the proxy (firewall) settings? In the router? Within the program?

2. I have ran the wlcardconfig at the command level, but no success! Although, the card works.

Please, help me with step-by-step instructions.

Thanks, guys

Joey.-

marhleet
01-09-2007, 08:17 AM
so many wifi questions
you'd think you'd get the idea it don't work too easily

can someone local to me buy me a router and card so i can figure this out for everybody ?
6 types of card even

Joey6
01-09-2007, 06:28 PM
marlheet:

Thanks for at least looking and taking your time to answer. You know, I think that the problem lies in Knoppix V5.01 and its code. I do not think that, people like me, will easily resolve this problem. As you mentioned, it appears that about 95% of the people are having this problem. You would think that Knopper would be working on this issue or anyone, for that matter, who helped to develop this great program.

There are a lot of people who are truly interested in this version as an alternate OS; however, the lack of a forthcoming solution from Knopper on this problem completely confounds me! This is a major shortfall that frustrates all of us to the edge of saying: "The hell with this program!!", and throwing the CD in the trash. I have contemplated this myself... .

If the people at Knopper are asking for donations from potential users, they will never get anything from anyone as long as this major problem exists. **A happy user will donate generously for a solid, good, working program**.

Marhleet, if you have a contact point at Knopper, please forward this reply to them. As you can see, my sentiments are well reflected by the number of posts on this forum regarding this issue. I am new to this forum and I do not have any contact points.

They also need to work on the printer recognition issue - such as me and my Lexmark E232 problem. If they need a copy of my "install disk" on this, I will mail a copy of it to anywhere at my expense. The list of recognized printers reflects old hardware that most of us do not keep forever - we are always upgrading to new equipment as cost factors go down. They need to publish new equipment drivers with the program.

Realistically speaking, marhleet, you will never get anything from anyone for free for you to try to solve this problem whether your intentions are noble or not. Maybe you know someone in Sidney that you could borrow hardware from. These items are not inexpensive anywhere in the world... .

I love to hear your take on this... .

Joey6.-

marhleet
01-10-2007, 08:06 AM
I went to a wifi card supplier web page
and found a wifi card
and it supports the usual windows stuff

no linux mention

if each card needs vendor code drivers for windows, how does anyone think that some catch-all will work magically in linux ?

I can't get 3 different USB interfaces to auto-work that all work in windows

methinks sometimes people like to expect too much

me, I have no problem actually buying the stuff just to do the exercise for myself and to help
I'm not poor, and i like to help.
but i think it would only show that it ain't gonna happen

the pci card vendors will have to get linux drivers for their cards for this too work

Joey6
01-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Marhleet:

I figured it out!! I will be posting this today. Quite lengthy... but you will find it interesting. You do not have to go out and buy any cards. However, if the card was specifically designed for Windows, it will not work in any Linux-based program. I was able to get both my Netgear cards recognized! I installed Linspire 5.01 in an old computer that I had (like I told you before) and I got everything to work - including my Lexmark Laser Printer. I will do another write up on this today, as well. I will post both write ups as separate Topics. Let me know what you think, OK??

Joey.- :D