PDA

View Full Version : Wireless card not recognized.

ralien
01-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Hi, I downloaded/running the newer version of Knoppix. I am a mostly proficient windows user, having worked in tech support and crap.....but this is my first time with Linux. My problem is that I cannot get the system to recognize my wireless card, I am using ethernet to write this atm. My wireless card is a Linksys Wireless G notebook adapter... model wpc54g version 2. When my ethernet needs a new ip address I click on the network card configuration and there are two there...eth 0 lan and eth 1 lan. The eth 1 lan is my ethernet card and it can get an ip through DHCP on my router. The wireless card doesnt do anything when I pick it to get an ip address. Looking around on the internet I found some command called wlcardconfig, when i type that into the command box i get "no wireless network card found". I'm not sure but I think I have to install the drivers which I don't know how to do. Thanks for hearing me out and let me know if you have any suggestions.

mr-roboto
01-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Hi, I downloaded/running the newer version of Knoppix. I am a mostly proficient windows user, having worked in tech support and crap.....but this is my first time with Linux. My problem is that I cannot get the system to recognize my wireless card, I am using ethernet to write this atm. My wireless card is a Linksys Wireless G notebook adapter... model wpc54g version 2. When my ethernet needs a new ip address I click on the network card configuration and there are two there...eth 0 lan and eth 1 lan. The eth 1 lan is my ethernet card and it can get an ip through DHCP on my router. The wireless card doesnt do anything when I pick it to get an ip address. Looking around on the internet I found some command called wlcardconfig, when i type that into the command box i get "no wireless network card found". I'm not sure but I think I have to install the drivers which I don't know how to do. Thanks for hearing me out and let me know if you have any suggestions.

I don't have great news for you, bec I don't know which chipset your card supports. However, I'm reasonably sure it is supported by this rev. 1st, check how far the kernel got in terms of recognizing the card: 'dmesg | less' The msgs pertaining to eth1 are the relevant ones (obviously), probably near the bottom of the log. There should be msgs which indicate the radio is up and running. Assuming the radio is operating, it should be a matter of setting up the wlan params. KWLAN is on the Internet sub-menu, which is the GUI way of setting up WiFi. I can't get to work for me, but then I already did my setup manually before trying it and I suspect that's the cause. There is also an NDISWRAPPER helper util on the Internet sub-menu.

NDISWRAPPER (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/) is typically the route many have to take. In my case, I use Windows and HTTRACK (a free, off-line web page archiving util) to collect all of the pertinent info (using a working WiFi connection.) Then, I put my head down and started tinkering manually. The NDISWRAPPER Wiki was extremely helpful and in an hour or so, I was up and running. Now, I have a couple of scripts which boot the WiFi (a Broadcom 43xx-based Motorola WPCI825) and turn the box into a router ! I'm actually typing this msg using the Knoppix router, so keep the faith and be persistent. Good luck....