PDA

View Full Version : Cant change locale and get rid of knopix auto-login

hal8000
01-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I have just installed knoppix 5 onto one of my hard drive partitions.
I used knoppix-installer (and choose knoppix style)

I have two immediate problems:-

i) My locale is still German but I would like english. In kde I have changed the setting for english but firefox menues are in German, as are terminal messages

ii) I have created a new user from the terminall using adduser. However when booting my system is using kde auto-login and logging me in as user "knoppix"
Do I have to add the service kdm to a default runlevel? I have looked in kde control centre and auto logon is not in use.

Thanks in advance

onemyndseye
01-11-2007, 07:13 AM
For the German issue.... make sure you are passing the " lang=us " (no quotes) to your bootloader.....

Easy way to check is:

cat /proc/cmdline

From a terminal window.

There is probably no way to get rid of the autologin as you chose the "knoppix" style install. This means it is a single user system that functions EXACTLY like the CD. You probably wanted a "Beginner System" which give you a multiuser system with full hardware detection. You can try this: (Again from a terminal window)

cd /etc/rc5.d/ ; sudo ln -s ../init.d/kdm S99kdm

Then reboot. I cant say it will change anything...nor can I say it wont break your system in some way. But it might give you what your looking for.

Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

hal8000
01-11-2007, 11:00 PM
For the German issue.... make sure you are passing the " lang=us " (no quotes) to your bootloader.....

Easy way to check is:

cat /proc/cmdline

From a terminal window.

There is probably no way to get rid of the autologin as you chose the "knoppix" style install. This means it is a single user system that functions EXACTLY like the CD. You probably wanted a "Beginner System" which give you a multiuser system with full hardware detection. You can try this: (Again from a terminal window)

cd /etc/rc5.d/ ; sudo ln -s ../init.d/kdm S99kdm

Then reboot. I cant say it will change anything...nor can I say it wont break your system in some way. But it might give you what your looking for.

Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

Thanks, I did a fresh install using knoppix style and appended lang=uk to my grub menu.lst Now in English.